BRob potential deals to the Cubs

Sports Guy

Just looking at Castillo's contact with the Mets. What were they thinking.? If we bit the bullet and took on his contract, what could we get from the Mets for BRob, besides the mighty Nick Evens of course?

:scratchchinhmm: Good question. I am terrible at making trade ideas, but maybe:

Nick Evans, Jon Niese, Castillo and Scott Moviel could do it.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with Cendeno, Hill, & Pie is that they'd all need to make the team. This would really tie the Orioles hands. Also Wuertz would make the team almost certainly pushing a younger reliever who has no options left off the team. Like say Sarfate.
Not a big problem IMO. Liz and Olson still have options and Walker and Baez could be dumped.

The problem with Cendeno, Hill, & Pie is that they'd all need to make the team. This would really tie the Orioles hands. Also Wuertz would make the team almost certainly pushing a younger reliever who has no options left off the team. Like say Sarfate.

There is no reason for them not to make the team:

1st- Huff

2nd- Cedeno

SS- Izturis

3rd- Mora

LF- Pie

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Scott

C- Zaun(until Wieters is up)

Bench: Freel, Quiroz(until Zaun goes to bench), Gomez, Salazar

Rotation:

Guthrie

Uehera

Olson

Hill or Penn

Sign another starter to keep it to 12 pitchers..Garland, Wold, etc..one year deal or cheap 2 year deal

Pen:

JJ

Sherrill

Ray

Hendrickson

Hill or Penn

Wuertz

final spot battled out by Sarfate, Baez, Walker, Mickolio, etc...

Liz goes to AAA to learn to relieve.

Again, I see no issue at all with having guys with no options...They all have good upside and we are a perfect team to see what they can do...And the team, outside of those guys, should still be ok.

Sometimes I wonder why you do not discuss Pie in CF and then let Jones, with his bigger frame, bulk up and become a bigger power threat. He could become Joe Carter like with a little more size.

I have suggested that before. I think Jones could be the guy to do this. He's got the frame to bulk up a bit, and I think that he could be one of those 30 HR types.

I have suggested that before. I think Jones could be the guy to do this. He's got the frame to bulk up a bit, and I think that he could be one of those 30 HR types.

Why is Jones who had a 700 OPS in fulltime AB's and an OBP of 310 considered a future star when Pie in few AB's had a similar OBP considered already to be at 23 years old a bust?

There is no reason for them not to make the team:...Again, I see no issue at all with having guys with no options...They all have good upside and we are a perfect team to see what they can do...And the team, outside of those guys, should still be ok.

Agree with this conclusion but why BRob when it seems like Sherril would get you the 3 Cubs and then you could move BRob in a separate deal? CHW still need a 2B and lead off hitter, maybe take back a contract like Linebrink or Dotel (Jenks is back) to balance $$ and add a prospect to revive the Floyd/Getz discussion. They would likely need to add one of the remaining SPs whose price tag is falling but they get to sell high on Floyd. Both Floyd and BRob are 1 year rentals.

Agree with this conclusion but why BRob when it seems like Sherril would get you the 3 Cubs and then you could move BRob in a separate deal? CHW still need a 2B and lead off hitter' date=' maybe take back a contract like Linebrink or Dotel (Jenks is back) to balance $$ and add a prospect to revive the Floyd/Getz discussion. They would likely need to add one of the remaining SPs whose price tag is falling but they get to sell high on Floyd. Both Floyd and BRob are 1 year rentals.[/quote']

As I have said before...I prefer to trade BRob for those 3 plus Wuertz because I think Sherrill could fetch us more at the deadline than BRob...Not definitely but I think it is possible.

Either way, I would make either deal and be very happy with it.

And yes, if we can deal BRob to the WS and Sherrill to the Cubs, that would be the best case scenario.

Why would any team not desperate for a second baseman trade for Roberts when they can buy him next year at little cost? And it doesn't look like anyone is desperate. And from the way the Orioles are dealing with him, as just another over ball player, the fans of the Orioles are overrating BR?

Why would any team not desperate for a second baseman trade for Roberts when they can buy him next year at little cost? And it doesn't look like anyone is desperate. And from the way the Orioles are dealing with him, as just another over ball player, the fans of the Orioles are overrating BR?
Pujols is a great ballplayer. Who's trying to trade for him? BRob is a very good ballplayer, but his market isn't there for him, any more than it is for ODog, another very good ballplayer.

I think the question BRob needs to be asking himself is, "will the market for 2B be so much better next year, that I will be able to get more than 3/30?"

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/how_bad_a_hitter_can_you_be_to_justify_a_great_glove/

BTW, if Pie plays GG caliber defense, he would need to have an OPS+ of 79 to be league average in LF.

Cedeno would need to play GG caliber defense and have an OPS+ of 68 to be league average.

I don't think Cedeno is viewed as a GG caliber defender but I believe he is looked at as an above average defensive player.

Not sure what the OPS would need to be to have a 79 and 68 OPS+.

Little cost = 2 draft picks. Think about it - a guy like Pie doesn't have the upside of a 1st or 2nd round draft pick anymore. He's also out of options, and the Cubs aren't paying Joey Gathright $1 million to play in AAA. Similarly, Cedeno has been made somewhat redundant by the signing of Aaron Hill. The fact is, the prospects that have been named here seem like too much for Roberts, but only because we have needs in some of those areas. Ronny Cedeno is the 4th infielder at Chicago right now and probably next season too. With us he'd be the starting 2B. His value is much higher to Baltimore than to Chicago right now.

Also, there are times when a ballclub just has to say "we want to win this year, not next year or the year after that". In that case you do whatever it takes to build a team that can win a championship. If Chicago's GM believes he needs a Brian Roberts to win the World Series this year, he will give up a lot to obtain that player.

Others tha Wuertz & the Orioles have plenty of relievers. the rest of these guys are really scrap heap guys. The Orioles would need 1 lgitimate prospect in return. Is it Vitters I dont know. But as BB said the rest of these guys are more likely to bust or top out as role players. I honestly dont see a trade with the Cubs happen.

Scrap heap guys?

Really?

Scrap heap guys are not guys who are under 26 and not far gone from being considered top prospects.

How do you know they are going to bust out?

Pie and Cedeno have not been given a full time job yet.

This is exactly the kind of trade we should look to make. We get several young players with talent to fill several positions.

We are not going to get a top twenty type prospect for a one year rental of a 31 yr old second baseman. Maybe last season we could have gotten it but not this year.

We have to try and be realistic about BRob's value.

Little cost = 2 draft picks. Think about it - a guy like Pie doesn't have the upside of a 1st or 2nd round draft pick anymore. He's also out of options, and the Cubs aren't paying Joey Gathright $1 million to play in AAA. Similarly, Cedeno has been made somewhat redundant by the signing of Aaron Hill. The fact is, the prospects that have been named here seem like too much for Roberts, but only because we have needs in some of those areas. Ronny Cedeno is the 4th infielder at Chicago right now and probably next season too. With us he'd be the starting 2B. His value is much higher to Baltimore than to Chicago right now.

Also, there are times when a ballclub just has to say "we want to win this year, not next year or the year after that". In that case you do whatever it takes to build a team that can win a championship. If Chicago's GM believes he needs a Brian Roberts to win the World Series this year, he will give up a lot to obtain that player.

What? That is absurd.

Pie doesn't have the upside of guys like Reimold or Xavier Avery? Are you serious?

Archived