O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

26 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If he blew out his arm pitching, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.   But tearing your ACL jumping up and down with your teammates celebrating?   Is that really "WBC related"?   It could have happened in a team ping pong tournament in the clubhouse in spring training.   It wasn't even a "dogpile" injury.   All I can compare it too is that LH power hitter  for the Angels whose name escapes me at the moment, 10 or 15 years ago, who jumped on home plate to celebrate a walkoff HR, and had a badly broken leg.   A total fluke t hat you can't really say is a result of playing the game.

Kendrys Morales

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

If he blew out his arm pitching, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.   But tearing your ACL jumping up and down with your teammates celebrating?   Is that really "WBC related"?   It could have happened in a team ping pong tournament in the clubhouse in spring training.   It wasn't even a "dogpile" injury.   All I can compare it too is that LH power hitter  for the Angels whose name escapes me at the moment, 10 or 15 years ago, who jumped on home plate to celebrate a walkoff HR, and had a badly broken leg.   A total fluke t hat you can't really say is a result of playing the game.

Kendrys Morales.  But I think you’re missing the point.  Sure, this is an unusual way to get injured in a baseball game.  But it still highlights that players do get injured in and around baseball games, and playing extracurricular games heightens the chances of having an injury that derails a player’s career.   Teams are going to have heightened concern now that this has happened, I think.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kendrys Morales.  But I think you’re missing the point.  Sure, this is an unusual way to get injured in a baseball game.  But it still highlights that players do get injured in and around baseball games, and playing extracurricular games heightens the chances of having an injury that derails a player’s career.   Teams are going to have heightened concern now that this has happened, I think.

But they are not playing extra games, they are playing these games instead of spring training games.

Yes I suppose the position players are playing more total innings by some negligible amount but not the pitchers.

Plenty of pitchers are getting hurt during regular spring training and you aren't seeing calls to shorten that.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Disagree. MLB wants WBC, teams....they just put up with it. But the more this damages the Mets competitively and devalues the 5 year extension (richest for a reliever in MLB history) that they just signed, the more teams aren't going to be willing to risk their top assets without some level of protection. Maybe they can insure contracts against WBC participation, but I think it's more likely that the WBC loses some star power in the future, as teams won't want to risk their financial investments. And I won't blame them one iota. If I sign a player to a $100+ million dollar contract, I expect either exclusivity of their services, or contractual protection from injury that devalues the consideration that I paid for. This was bound to happen eventually. It will change things. 

No chance.  Next man up.  That’s how sports work.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they are not playing extra games, they are playing these games instead of spring training games.

Yes I suppose the position players are playing more total innings by some negligible amount but not the pitchers.

Plenty of pitchers are getting hurt during regular spring training and you aren't seeing calls to shorten that.

Funny, I haven’t seen players jumping around celebrating when they win a spring training game!   The intensity of the competition is greater and, it seems to me, the odds of a mishap are higher.   And whether or not I’m right about that (I’ll admit I could be wrong), I think some teams will see it that way.  It also feels easier for a team to justify it if a player gets hurt while doing things for that team, as opposed to doing the same things for some other team that isn’t paying his salary.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seriously.  I have an idea.  F playing real Games, let’s promote ESports.  No one gets hurt and even out of shape kids can play!  It’s safe and equitable.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Funny, I haven’t seen players jumping around celebrating when they win a spring training game!   The intensity of the competition is greater and, it seems to me, the odds of a mishap are higher.   And whether or not I’m right about that (I’ll admit I could be wrong), I think some teams will see it that way.  It also feels easier for a team to justify it if a player gets hurt while doing things for that team, as opposed to doing the same things for some other team that isn’t paying his salary.

It's not as if he was doing backflips.

They were jumping maybe 3 inches?  This is up there with the danger level of the infamous side straddle hop.

https://streamable.com/ghr82z

How about this?  The Mets practicing celebrations in Spring Training.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/2021/03/11/Mets-practice-World-Series-celebration-spring-training/7741615470328/

They train for this!

• Haha 1

1) It's New York

2) Fluke or not, he wouldn't have been injured if he hadn't been playing for a team, with whom he is not under contract

3) The ink is barely dry on his contract

4) He may never be the same player once he's rehabbed this injury, but at the minimum the Mets are going to pay a lot of money for nothing but goodwill. This will be the most visible manifestation of the injury risk, but teams are very wary of the risks and the goodwill is fragile when it costs money and wins.

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

1) It's New York

2) Fluke or not, he wouldn't have been injured if he hadn't been playing for a team, with whom he is not under contract

4) He may never be the same player once he's rehabbed this injury, but at the minimum the Mets are going to pay a lot of money for nothing but goodwill. This will be the most visible manifestation of the injury risk, but teams are very wary of the risks and the goodwill is fragile when it costs money and wins.

And? He will be an afterthought in 4 weeks. Life goes on and he gets to buy a(few) big houses.  

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

1) It's New York

Remember the 2013 WBC?

David Wright got injured.

1. It was New York
  2. He got hurt training for the WBC, playing for a team with whom he wasn't under contract
  3. The ink on his new contract was barely dry (year 1 of a 8/138 deal)