Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

Pipeline also did a ranking of the most-hyped number one prospects over the past 15 years.

They have Jackson at 5, Adley at 8, and Gunnar at 12.

I guess they didn't have Matt Wieters at one overall in 2009. Looks like David Price was their guy that year. I was looking for Wieters because I feel like he was more hyped than any of our other three. "Mauer with Power," and Mauer himself was ninth on this list.

On 8/8/2023 at 6:38 PM, e16bball said:

156 for Trout. 

If we go back to 2006, and expand to include anyone over 130 wRC+ at age 19, it provides the following names:

203 - - Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (2018)

190 - - Jason Heyward (2009)

160 - - Jose Tabata (2008)

159 - - Xander Bogaerts (2012)

159 - - Ronald Acuna (2017)

158 - - Justin Upton (2007)

157 - - Nomar Mazara (2014)

156 - - Mike Trout (2011)

152 - - Jesus Montero (2009)

148 - - Ozzie Albies (2016)

147 - - Rougned Odor (2013)

145 - - Andrew McCutchen (2006)

142 - - Isaac Paredes (2018)

133 - - Fernando Tatis Jr. (2018)

133 - - Jarred Kelenic (2019)

131 - - Francisco Lindor (2013)

This is incredibly good company and implies a far greater probability of being an All Star than a bust.

6 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Pipeline also did a ranking of the most-hyped number one prospects over the past 15 years.

They have Jackson at 5, Adley at 8, and Gunnar at 12.

I guess they didn't have Matt Wieters at one overall in 2009. Looks like David Price was their guy that year. I was looking for Wieters because I feel like he was more hyped than any of our other three. "Mauer with Power," and Mauer himself was ninth on this list.

If Jackson had a bit more present power, he would be further up the list. Still impressive. 

Value. That is why Holliday comes up this year. Obviously, the value that he adds for a playoff run. However, the value of him being ROY eligible, and the favorite for next year, to win Elias an extra “1st rd pick”. There’s no way that we wait until next 9/1 to call him up. Also, I think it would be easier on a clubhouse favorite to get pushed aside for Holliday than Joey Ortiz. 

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Value. That is why Holliday comes up this year. Obviously, the value that he adds for a playoff run. However, the value of him being ROY eligible, and the favorite for next year, to win Elias an extra “1st rd pick”. There’s no way that we wait until next 9/1 to call him up. Also, I think it would be easier on a clubhouse favorite to get pushed aside for Holliday than Joey Ortiz. 

I think they'll be way more concerned with Holliday's development / the extra year of control vs. the potential draft pick. Would be really shocked to see him spring past Ortiz and would be equally surprised to see him break camp with the team next year. They'll be looking to bring him up after the super 2 deadline. 

15 minutes ago, TheWall said:

I think they'll be way more concerned with Holliday's development / the extra year of control vs. the potential draft pick. Would be really shocked to see him spring past Ortiz and would be equally surprised to see him break camp with the team next year. They'll be looking to bring him up after the super 2 deadline. 

Why do you think that wasn't a concern with how they manage Gunnar? Makes Holliday different? Is it because he is still a teen? 1:1? Something else?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Why do you think that wasn't a concern with how they manage Gunnar? Makes Holliday different? Is it because he is still a teen? 1:1? Something else?

I think it absolutely was a concern with how they managed Gunnar. Holliday has 16 games at AA, while Gunnar had 52 at AA and 65 at AAA. Holliday is obviously moving faster, but what people are suggesting would be unprecedented for our front office. I'm incredibly bullish on Holliday and think he has all-world potential, but I remain skeptical that he would be an improvement this year over our other more experienced infield options. On top of that - the extra year they would be giving up by pushing him could be worth upwards of $50M by the time he's a free agent. 

18 minutes ago, TheWall said:

I don't think Ortiz will block Holliday.  There could be other reasons as you mention, but if Holliday is ready then he plays.  He's certainly checking off quite a few developmental boxes pretty quickly, so I wouldn't put it past him to finish the grid by the end of Spring Training.  The potential draft pick is a nice carrot, but not the decision maker.  Super 2 is a nice "bird in the hand" consolation prize though.

That said, I'd be shocked to see us open 2024 with 3 new rookies (Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad) on the OD roster (as fun as that would be).  

17 minutes ago, TheWall said:

I think it absolutely was a concern with how they managed Gunnar. Holliday has 16 games at AA, while Gunnar had 52 at AA and 65 at AAA. Holliday is obviously moving faster, but what people are suggesting would be unprecedented for our front office. I'm incredibly bullish on Holliday and think he has all-world potential, but I remain skeptical that he would be an improvement this year over our other more experienced infield options. On top of that - the extra year they would be giving up by pushing him could be worth upwards of $50M by the time he's a free agent. 

I was talking about the concern that you expressed that the org may have with starting Holliday on the Opening Day roster next year due to Super 2 concerns. I was making the point that they didn’t appear to have those concerns when they started Henderson on OD roster this season.

You make a good point about the extra year. Though at the same time, if they are not planning to extend any stars, they are facing the possibility of their best (most talented teams) only being together for a short time. 

If they hold Holliday down for most of next year, then we are looking at a Holliday, Henderson, Adley, Grayson, Kjerstad team of about 3 seasons. Not a lot of time to maximize your biggest window.