2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This game will be determined by how well we pitch.  Irvin has seen Seattle many times while pitching for Oakland and has an 8.42 career ERA against them.  Unless he pitches much better than that, and than Gibson pitched last night, it won’t matter who’s in our lineup.  

Yikes.

Watching the Mariners hitters, I think they might be golfers/upward swingers. It might be a good idea to pay close attention to that and make sure our pitchers are not putting the ball down in their home run zone. 

I think a pitcher like Bautista who excels with the 4 seam fast ball up in the zone would be our best bet to serve the Mariners some kryptonite against their long ball swings.  Maybe Baumann would be good against them too. Webb also. 

But with that idea in mind, our starting pitchers are going to have to make some adjustments to how they approach yhe Mariners lineup and keep a very close eye on how Mariners are swinging. Like Jim Palmer always talks about, "Read the bat barrel".

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Hays, O’Hearn & Santander in the outfield yikes.  Bradish better keep the ball on the ground.  I think I would have played Mullins again and gave him tomorrow off if Hicks is back or went with Cowser instead of O’Hearn..

Yeah, it's weird seeing O'Hearn in the outfield. There has to be a better alignment.

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Hays, O’Hearn & Santander in the outfield yikes.  Bradish better keep the ball on the ground.  I think I would have played Mullins again and gave him tomorrow off if Hicks is back or went with Cowser instead of O’Hearn..

It appears Cowser has played himself out of serious consideration for the time being. This would have been the perfect chance to get him in a game, and it speaks volumes he's on the bench against a RHP. Not that Cowser has been a defensive standout himself.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Our OF defense will most likely suffer with this alignment though we got away with it on Thursday in the win against the Astros. 

I will say though whatever we are loosing with O’Hearn’s defense we are more than gaining with his bat in the lineup compared to Cowser who has been almost an automatic out.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Our OF defense will most likely suffer with this alignment though we got away with it on Thursday in the win against the Astros. 

I will say though whatever we are loosing with O’Hearn’s defense we are more than gaining with his bat in the lineup compared to Cowser who has been almost an automatic out.

O'Hearn has hit the skids a bit. He's got an OPS of .483 for August and .735 for his last 30 days.

• Upvote 1