2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

12 hours ago, dystopia said:

What at bat made it clear Jose Bautista was not the same hitter with the Blue Jays that he was with the Pirates?

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

What is dim is you thinking I was comparing O'Hearn to Bautista rather than mocking you for your suggestion that there's a specific number of at bats that separates a SSS from "reality". 

Sure, that's not trying to compare the two players. 

Right.

It was a very poor comparison but yea, you were trying to suggest a similarity between the two.

Just now, dystopia said:

And further to my last post, I'm not even sure what the long term sustainability of O'Hearn's numbers has to do with my original point. The point is he's hitting well and has been all year, and that alone justifies giving him ABs against LHP. 

You are advocating the Orioles ignore all data from before this season.

That suggest that you think the current situation is capable of being sustained.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Nope, pretty sure your poor framing of your "argument".

You make a poor comparison, get called out and then suggest you weren't making any comparison.

Why bring up Bautista if it wasn't as a comp?

It was only a comp insofar as he was a player who was a "late bloomer". If you got from my post that I was saying O'Hearn was destined to follow Bautista's career path then, well, I really don't know what to tell you. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are advocating the Orioles ignore all data from before this season.

That suggest that you think the current situation is capable of being sustained.

No it doesn't. It means a hitter who is seeing the ball well is probably going to see the ball well regardless of what hand the pitcher is throwing with.

Just now, dystopia said:

Your post dredging up Bautista's OPS+ numbers tells me you thought I was saying O'Hearn was the next Jose Bautista, which was a ludicrous assumption.

I agree.

Your assumption not mine.

And I can see, judging by your other posts that you wouldn't put much stock in the evidence I provided.  After-all if O'Hearn's career data isn't' useful why should you care what Bautista did?

Who cares what anyone does for their career, the O's should just trade everyone when they go into a slump and trade for guys that are on a hot streak!

O'Hearn has an established history of being VERY bad.  He hasn't earned any benefit of the doubt.  He should have to keep proving himself.

Hopefully it's sustainable, history tells us that it probably isn't.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

And further to my last post, I'm not even sure what the long term sustainability of O'Hearn's numbers has to do with my original point. The point is he's hitting well and has been all year, and that alone justifies giving him ABs against LHP. 

He’s hitting well because he’s being put in position to succeed. Batting against LHP is going against that.