Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

On 4/27/2023 at 11:31 PM, Just Regular said:

Here's one I wouldn't have guessed - Fangraphs Speed measure for the Eastern League gives Kjerstad 5th of 93.   

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=5&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=13,1

He's 4th in wRC+, where his fellow elite draft pick Henry Davis is on top. Triples!

I just looked at the link above and HK was 26th at 6.2 but Donta Williams was 5th at 8.2. Am I looking at the wrong thing re: Heston's speed???

For wRC+ Davis is still first at 209, Prieto at 184, HK at 183 and Mayo 5th at 154. Bowie has 3 of the top 5.

33 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I just looked at the link above and HK was 26th at 6.2 but Donta Williams was 5th at 8.2. Am I looking at the wrong thing re: Heston's speed???

For wRC+ Davis is still first at 209, Prieto at 184, HK at 183 and Mayo 5th at 154. Bowie has 3 of the top 5.

He's slowed down some by this metric since 4.27.      Unless custom dates are hard coded on the links, they just update like any other leaderboard.

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He's slowed down some by this metric since 4.27.      Unless custom dates are hard coded on the links, they just update like any other leaderboard.

I wasn't clear, sorry. You said he was 5th at 93 but the highest score is 8.5, so off by over an order of magnitude. Is there a conversion to percentiles, did you mean 9.3, or ??? It doesn't seem like someone could go from 9.3 to 6.2 without breaking a leg lol.

I found this explanation:Speed score (Spd) is a statistic developed by Bill James that rates a player on their speed and baserunning ability. Different locations include slightly different components, but the FanGraphs version consists of, “…Stolen Base Percentage, Frequency of Stolen Base Attempts, Percentage of Triples, and Runs Scored Percentage.”    

They say about 7 is excellent and 6 is great, 5.5 above average. So if HK is 6.2 he is doing well. I assume he probably hit a triple and stole a base in the prior reading and you meant 9.3. I'm just trying to get a read on HK's speed as a potential COF but all I can find is Tony's prospect rating from 2021.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I wasn't clear, sorry. You said he was 5th at 93 but the highest score is 8.5, so off by over an order of magnitude. Is there a conversion to percentiles, did you mean 9.3, or ??? It doesn't seem like someone could go from 9.3 to 6.2 without breaking a leg lol.

Ah, gotcha.    I don't remember the number it gave last month, but nothing was 9.3, it was just 93 guys qualifying then. 

Now he's 26th of 80, still good for a slugger.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Ah, gotcha.    I don't remember the number it gave last month, but nothing was 9.3, it was just 93 guys qualifying then. 

Now he's 26th of 80, still good for a slugger.

Especially when Mayo and Prieto are 51 and 54 with numbers around 4 so I am good with a 6.2 for the big man.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

How much longer until the promotion?

They probably want to slow walk him as long as possible. For controlability reasons. Hays, Mullins and Santndar are hitting too well for any outfielder to be moved through the system quickly. 

44 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't think its necessary, especially if HK is getting starts at 1B too.

Can’t say I disagree but I could still see that be how the org handles it.

His OPS is over 1000. He has almost a 1000 OPs vs lefties this year, albeit in a SSS.

He could walk a little more. 

I mean, I think if you are searching for reasons not to bring him up to AAA it’s really reaching.

Edited by Sports Guy