G-Rod Debut Date?

yark14

I've tried to create a poll multiple times, but apparently I don't have the street cred on here to post one....so write-in answers it is.  Which game do you guys think Grayson Rodriguez will debut?  I live in Austin and am wanting to make it up to Arlington if he makes his debut in the series against the Rangers.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I think they'll do things the old fashioned way and put the rookie at the 5 spot in the rotation. Which would be a debut game of Tues Apr 4. 

This would be my thought. If there is one guy who should get one less start than everyone else it should be the guy who has never pitched a full season. I'd just get tickets to the whole series and go to them all to have the best chance.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I still think there’s a good chance they keep him down until whatever date passes to get the extra year of service time. 

If not, the April 4 game date seems logical. 

I'm expecting the Orioles to also send down G-Rod the first few weeks or whatever the exact length it is for him to get an extra service year.

I'm hoping G-Rod's makes the Opening Day roster as Elias and the O's brass recognizes a few bad weeks before G-Rod makes his MLB debut could be the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I still think there’s a good chance they keep him down until whatever date passes to get the extra year of service time. 

If he allows an earned run in ST he’ll get sent down. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm expecting the Orioles to also send down G-Rod the first few weeks or whatever the exact length it is for him to get an extra service year.

I'm hoping G-Rod's makes the Opening Day roster as Elias and the O's brass recognizes a few bad weeks before G-Rod makes his MLB debut could be the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

This place is going to melt down when he hits his innings limit for the year, they shut him down while he’s in a ROY race and we’re in a playoff race. 

He’s going to get 115-130 innings this year, it seems those are the estimates. Whether or not those innings are more valuable in the beginning, middle or the end of the year is anyone’s guess. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This place is going to melt down when he hits his innings limit for the year, they shut him down while he’s in a ROY race and we’re in a playoff race. 

He’s going to get 115-130 innings this year, it seems those are the estimates. Whether or not those innings are more valuable in the beginning, middle or the end of the year is anyone’s guess. 

We should melt down if it happens.  Elias admitted a lack of evidence supporting inning caps.

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They will 100% manipulate his service time to get that extra year.

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

They will 100% manipulate his service time to get that extra year.

We will see in 25 days or so but unless his outings go way worse then his first one did I don't see it happening.  Grayson starting 3 or 4 times in April means higher ticket sales for his games.  It would also be a big time PR hit if he pitches well and they send him down for service time manipulation.  They aren't stupid, if they were planning to do that the narrative would have been very different when they asked about their intentions for him in the rotation.  

I feel like with a SP it's a little different. He would have to miss the first 14 days of the season. Only 2 starts.

If my math is right, the season is 185 days, March 30 to October 1. 14 days means he gets called up on April 14.

We haven't seen this situation with Elias, have we? Not sure what he does.

I hope he makes the Opening Day roster. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

And if those two or three games are losses? It’s being stupid at this point, with the young guys the selling point of this team, to jerk him and the fans around. 

Failing a complete miscalculation by everyone about his talent he should probably get the starting nod for the opener. Wonder what the odds of that happening is. Actually, I don’t. Won’t happen, but probably should. 

Orioles fans should be treated to GRod in as many games on the ML roster as possible. 

I would initially agree with the service clock manipulation, but I think they had every intention to get him in the bigs last year. Couple that with the burn of top 2 RoY penalty if not on opening day roster that we felt with Adley last year. Don't think they gamble on that one. #5 unless he implodes or gets injured. I just don't see them holding him down until July / August to dodge RoY possibilities. Even a May call-up can get him that award.. exhibit Adley. He has a chance at that on paper and they know it. And, again, he was in their plans last year so his service time is already "budgeted" into the timeline. 

Edited by oh-wee-ohs

I’m sticking with April 3. I keep thinking they will avoid Irvin vs Boston and will want to do the same vs NY at home. Assuming no rainouts Grayson would then be lined up to pitch Sunday April 9 vs NYY. 

Irvin goes today and Grayson tomorrow. I have no idea if that means anything or not. Orioles don’t play a spring game for two days before OD in Boston. Perhaps they aren’t concerned about Irvin vs NYY at home and will want Grayson vs OAK instead. Irvin only has had 1 start each vs NYY and BOS. Makes sense to me to keep him away from them as long as you can. Won’t be able to set up rotation once you get into flow of season.