Three thoughts on the pitch clock

interloper

• 3 weeks later...

Like this year's changes, but still hate the previous year's addition of the automatic runner in extra innings. Would maybe accept putting him on first, instead of second, base: the increase in pinchrunners, stolen base attempts, and sac bunts wd still happen, I think--but there wdn't be such a gun to the head of the pitcher.

51 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Like this year's changes, but still hate the previous year's addition of the automatic runner in extra innings. Would maybe accept putting him on first, instead of second, base: the increase in pinchrunners, stolen base attempts, and sac bunts wd still happen, I think--but there wdn't be such a gun to the head of the pitcher.

I like the idea of doing the 10th with nobody on, the 11th with a man on 1st, and the 12th and on with a man on 2nd.  

• Upvote 1

I'm becoming a fan of the 'pitch challenge' in AAA (don't think I've seen it anywhere else).  Curious if that will be the case next year in MLB.  It makes for some fun.  I've been a big fan of all the new rules.  Anything to make the game more exciting and move quicker is going to be good.  

7 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I like the idea of doing the 10th with nobody on, the 11th with a man on 1st, and the 12th and on with a man on 2nd.  

Interesting idea, but it might be too hard for John Schneider to strategize around.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:08 PM, Sports Guy said:

It’s wonderful. 

If you want it to be 20 instead of 15, that’s fine. It won’t really hurt the length of the game imo.

But it’s awesome overall. Taking away 30 min of nothing is fantastic.

Maybe some of us enjoy the "nothing."

Pitch clock needs to go.  It's that simple.  There shouldn't be a clock in baseball period.

8 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

That would be an improvement over the current rule, but I think it would work just as well to keep it less complicated and put a man on first base each inning starting with the 10th or 11th. Lots more strategy -- whether to play for one run or more, stealing, bunting, staying out of the GIDP.

AND PLEASE DON'T CALL THE AUTOMATC RUNNER A "GHOST RUNNER." I don't know how common this experience is, but wen I was growing up -- with no Little League or orther organized baseball other than in school -- we often played with as few as five on a side. Sometimes a guy who was on base would be needed to catch for the other team or get ready to hit or something. He woud leave the base to do something else needed to keep the game going, and we would pretend he was still there. He was always the lead runner, and he would be deemed to advance as many bases as the runner behind him.

In my neighborhood we called that runner an "invisible man," and lest anyone forget the batter often would remind everyone by announcing, say, "Invisible man on third base." In an adjoining neighborhood where I often played, and in my cousin's neighborhood 1,000 miles away, they called the lead runner who was treated as if he were on base but wasn't there a "ghost runner." Both terms made perfect sense: we were playing as if a runner were still on base, even though he wasn't there any more. He was, for purposes of the game, invisible, like a ghost.

The automatic rummer used in the MLB is not invisible, and he's not in any way like a ghost. He's really there. Ordinarily, he wouldn't be on second base at the start of the inning, and some would say he shouldn't be there, period. But he's really there, and what he does as a baserunner is governed by the ordinary rules of the game. Why anyone who thinks about it for ten seconds would refer to the automatic runner as a "ghost runner" is beyond me. 

36 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Maybe some of us enjoy the "nothing."

Pitch clock needs to go.  It's that simple.  There shouldn't be a clock in baseball period.

That’s fine. Not every change is going to be well liked by everyone.

But for most people, getting rid of 20-35 min of absolutely nothing is a welcome change.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine. Not every change is going to be well liked by everyone.

But for most people, getting rid of 20-35 min of absolutely nothing is a welcome change.

If folks have a fetish for watching other folks adjust gloves I'm sure their is another outlet.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I'm becoming a fan of the 'pitch challenge' in AAA (don't think I've seen it anywhere else).  Curious if that will be the case next year in MLB.  It makes for some fun.  I've been a big fan of all the new rules.  Anything to make the game more exciting and move quicker is going to be good.  

AAA is doing ABS challenges in some games, and ABS on all pitches in others. 

I'm still of the opinion that if ABS is significantly more accurate than human umpires and the electronic relay only adds 0.1 second per pitch for the umpire to interpret the beep/buzz, then it makes little sense to keep the inaccurate human calls in any capacity.  I want the players to determine the outcomes whenever possible in sports, not the officials.