Roster cuts Friday morning?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

At least Neustrom got a homer on the books before he was cut.  

Now the question is, does he stay in the organization?     Cameron, Cowser, Cordero, O'Hearn, Diaz, Terrry.    Those are all potential players at Norfolk between DH-1B and the 3 outfield spots.   That doesn't even take into account Josh Lester who is primarily a 1B-3B.  Add in the possibility of Hudson Haskin moving up from Bowie.   

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Now the question is, does he stay in the organization?     Cameron, Cowser, Cordero, O'Hearn, Diaz, Terrry.    Those are all potential players at Norfolk between DH-1B and the 3 outfield spots.   That doesn't even take into account Josh Lester who is primarily a 1B-3B.  Add in the possibility of Hudson Haskin moving up from Bowie.   

I'd like to see if he bounces back from his down year at all. Cameron has looked the worst of the NRIs, but he's one of the few CF depth options. Kind of curious if they end up releasing him. 

Meanwhile, I guess it sucks that Cave got claimed because he's looking great this spring for the Phillies. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He's gone imo and I won't lose any sleep over it tbh.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m kind of amazed that Holliday is still with the big league club.  Shows you how highly they think of him.  I’d assumed his invite was just a courtesy for the no. 1 pick, but he’s played a good bit.   

A courtesy?   Looking at the way Elias promoted Gunnar through the system,  Holliday could begin the season at Aberdeen and be at Norfolk before the season is over.   He could be in ST next spring fighting for a starting spot with the O's if everything goes his way.   

I think Elias is trying to give Holliday all the exposure he can and Jackson is showing well.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m kind of amazed that Holliday is still with the big league club.  Shows you how highly they think of him.  I’d assumed his invite was just a courtesy for the no. 1 pick, but he’s played a good bit.   

You seem to want to scoff at the notion he could be the OD SS as soon as next year.

We all need to realize that age doesn’t matter if you are that advanced and that good.  Now, we will see what happens with Holliday this year but the one thing that is extremely obvious is that none of this is “too big” for him. His father has raised him well and made this all feel normal for him (and probably his brother too).

When Gunnar went to ST a few years ago and everyone raves about how he handled himself, that mattered and it carried over for him and for the team.

One thing is for sure, how this team handles this IF depth is going to be a big part of how they shape this organization for years to come. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

You seem to want to scoff at the notion he could be the OD SS as soon as next year.

We all need to realize that age doesn’t matter if you are that advanced and that good.  Now, we will see what happens with Holliday this year but the one thing that is extremely obvious is that none of this is “too big” for him. His father has raised him well and made this all feel normal for him (and probably his brother too).

When Gunnar went to ST a few years ago and everyone raves about how he handled himself, that mattered and it carried over for him and for the team.

One thing is for sure, how this team handles this IF depth is going to be a big part of how they shape this organization for years to come. 

I don’t scoff at the notion, but I do think it’s unrealistic to put that expectation on a 19-year old who’s played a limited amount of Low A.   

Very generally, the last two years and especially in 2022, the O’s have had an incredibly good “hit rate” with their position player prospects.   That’s great, but now it feels to me like people are just expecting that every prospect we have is going to succeed and move at an accelerated pace.  For example, it seems like people are just assuming that in a year, Holliday will be the no. 1 prospect in baseball.   That is not something that can be assumed.   You might say he has the best odds of anyone out there at this point, but the odds are still probably something like 5-10%.   There’s a lot of work to do and not everyone has a year like Gunnar had last year, even if they are a really good prospect.   So we’ll see how he does, but I won’t be at all disappointed if his season looks more like Gunnar 2021 than Gunnar 2022.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t scoff at the notion, but I do think it’s unrealistic to put that expectation on a 19-year old who’s played a limited amount of Low A.   

Very generally, the last two years and especially in 2022, the O’s have had an incredibly good “hit rate” with their position player prospects.   That’s great, but now it feels to me like people are just expecting that every prospect we have is going to succeed and move at an accelerated pace.  For example, it seems like people are just assuming that in a year, Holliday will be the no. 1 prospect in baseball.   That is not something that can be assumed.   You might say he has the best odds of anyone out there at this point, but the odds are still probably something like 5-10%.   There’s a lot of work to do and not everyone has a year like Gunnar had last year, even if they are a really good prospect.   So we’ll see how he does, but I won’t be at all disappointed if his season looks more like Gunnar 2021 than Gunnar 2022.

I don’t really care if he’s the #1 prospect or not. That’s meaningless.

But the kid is extremely advanced and the plan is, without question, to have him be the starting SS within 2 years. 

If he stays healthy this year and develops as anyone should expect him to, it’s very possible he is pushing for AAA this year, although AA is likely more realistic.

But if he all he does is get to AA this year, that still puts him in position to potentially be the starting SS next OD, although my guess is they would play with the service time some.

Nothing about that is unrealistic of unprecedented. Where you are taken #1, whether you are HS or college, you should move very fast. The first pick should be a highly advanced player who is likely to move quickly through the lower minors.

On 3/9/2023 at 5:58 PM, RZNJ said:

I wonder if any of the fringe corner guys on MiLB deals have opt-outs. I don't think any of them have the MLB service time to have the guaranteed non-negotiated opt out that was established with the new CBA (Cordero might be close).

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of Terry this spring, I was interested in seeing what he could do based on his past MiLB numbers (outside of last season he's had fairly impressive OBP/SLG rates). 

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really care if he’s the #1 prospect or not. That’s meaningless.

But the kid is extremely advanced and the plan is, without question, to have him be the starting SS within 2 years. 

If he stays healthy this year and develops as anyone should expect him to, it’s very possible he is pushing for AAA this year, although AA is likely more realistic.

But if he all he does is get to AA this year, that still puts him in position to potentially be the starting SS next OD, although my guess is they would play with the service time some.

Nothing about that is unrealistic of unprecedented. Where you are taken #1, whether you are HS or college, you should move very fast. The first pick should be a highly advanced player who is likely to move quickly through the lower minors.

What in how Elias has treated his best prospects makes you think he's going to start a 20-year old as his opening day SS next year? 

Unless you just saying how you would do it, it is completely unrealistic to think Elias is thinking Holliday will be his opening day SS next year. This is a guy who has a top 100 prospect who plays 2B and went out and signed Frazier to an $8 million contract.

Yes, I realize things are changing in regard to the Orioles being a contender vs when Rutschman was drafted, but he gave Rutschman 780 minor league PAs and he was the #1 draft pick out of college.

Henderson, who was moved as fast as any Elias high school draft pick ever, still got 1087 minor league PAs. 

If Holliday ends this season in AA, that will be a great accomplishment. Elias has shown no indication that he's going to rush a prospect, and considering SS is currently manned between Henderson/Mateo/Ortiz over the next few years, there's no need to rush him through the minors.

I think Elias looks at his prospects as waves of talent to be used as commodities. Sure, Holliday could be special, but it would be unprecedented under Elias if he got less than 1000 minor league PAs before arriving on the major league scene.

I think it's much more likely that Holliday arrives in 2025 as the favorite to be the opening day SS even if he has a great year this year in his first full minor league season.