SS Cárter Young

3B Anderson De Los Santos

C Silas Ardoin

LF Michael Deson

CF Doug Hodo

RF Steven Acevedo

DH Creed Willems

Bench - Noelberth Romero, Elio Prado

I would have Holliday start at Aberdeen.  It’s the right challenge for him and it’s doubtful a slow start hurts the kids confidence in some kind of lasting way.  He’s obviously more advanced than Carter Young.   Ardoin and Hodo showed good plate discipline and nothing else last year.  This is the right level for our 4th and 6th rounder.   This is a make or break year for the 20 year olds, Acevedo and Deson as they repeat.  Romero and Prado at 21, are also in danger of being passed by.    3 catchers for one spot.  Not ideal but both Basallo and Willems play 1B and can DH as well as split catching with Ardoin.   They could push Ardoin to Aberdeen but that seems like force feeding a player to a level he hasn’t show he’s ready for.   Aron Estrada, at 17, had a more impressive DSL season than Bencosme did at 18.   Let’s be aggressive here.  

Pitching

Juan De Los Santos

Moises Chace

Deivy Cruz

Juan Nunez

Edgar Portes

Alfred Vega

Raul Rangel

Juan Rojas

Carter Baumler

Yaqui Rivera

Harif Frias

Randy Beriguete

Alejandro Mendez 

De Los Santos could certainly go to Aberdeen but I like him starting the year at Delmarva.   There’s a lot of interesting arms here but the first 5 seem most likely to give the team innings while Baumler, Vega, Rojas, and Rangel are capable of starting if healthy. Lots of good arms here.  The end of the bullpen contains 2 big guys with big arms with huge control issues in Beriguete and Mendez.   

This is half prediction and half “what I’d like to see”.    Aberdeen coming next!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the O’s will take Basallo out from behind the plate (as his principal position) so soon.  He probably will play some 1B, though.   

I didn’t mean to imply that Basallo was no longer a catcher.  In the FCL he started 28 games at C and 10 games at 1B.   I expect he’ll catch quite a bit.  For sure, Willems will be there.  The question is will there be a 3rd catcher who requires defensive reps or is more of an emergency catcher.  If it’s the latter, I expect Basallo and Willems to split catching about 50/50 with the other playing 1B or DH most other days.  I suspect each will get one complete day off each week plus the normal off day on Mondays.   If the Orioles should send Ardoin there (all of this might be an argument why they won’t) then they’re going to have to split things three ways.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I feel overslot money for Carter Young was a waste. Too much of a project and needing to start in Delmarva at age 22.  

I don't know if it was a waste, time will tell, but I do think it was a last minute pivot when they came to the conclusion that Nolan McLean (their 3rd round pick), or potentially also Andrew Walters (Rd 18 flamethrower out of Miami) wasn't going to sign for what they were offering. Young signed at the last minute and I'm glad they used their full budget, even if it was a gamble.

• Upvote 3

Seems unnecessary for Holliday to start in Delmarva. But as long as it’s just for a month or so, it’s not too much of a problem. 

Excited for Basallo. Will be interesting to see if he can stick at C and how the bat plays in a full season league. 

On 4/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, Chaka Garcia said:

I feel overslot money for Carter Young was a waste. Too much of a project and needing to start in Delmarva at age 22.  

Westburg started at Delmarva at age 22.  
If Young is still in Delmarva in June, I’ll wonder about him.  

Anyway, if we hadn’t signed Young, the money just would have gone unspent, so okay with me to take a flyer on a guy with some upside.  

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, waroriole said:

Seems unnecessary for Holliday to start in Delmarva. But as long as it’s just for a month or so, it’s not too much of a problem. 

Excited for Basallo. Will be interesting to see if he can stick at C and how the bat plays in a full season league. 

I think it'll be interesting to see how the split playing time between Basallo and Creed "Kenny Powers" Willems. They both need time behind the plate if they're going to continue to move up in the system (Basallo having the better bat is the priority play clearly). 

On 4/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, Chaka Garcia said:

A pretty harsh take considering Young was drafted as a fixer upper and got into only 14 games in Delmarva last year.  Young was viewed by some to be a first round pick in last year's draft before he had just a terrible year.  He's not your typical 22 yo in Delmarva.  He also just turned 22 in January.  With Covid happening, players are a little older at levels than before.  

22 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A pretty harsh take considering Young was drafted as a fixer upper and got into only 14 games in Delmarva last year.  Young was viewed by some to be a first round pick in last year's draft before he had just a terrible year.  He's not your typical 22 yo in Delmarva.  He also just turned 22 in January.  With Covid happening, players are a little older at levels than before.  

Certainly too early to call him a waste or a bust, but it is a little disappointing that he had to start in Delmarva when we know Holliday will be playing SS most of the time. I guess they are going to give Bencosme a long look at SS in Aberdeen. Hopefully he'll calm down defensively there.