Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

On 4/17/2023 at 6:15 PM, Frobby said:

At the 16 game mark, Hays is hitting .350/.391/.633.  Over the last 7, it’s .467/.500/.833.  His EV (sorry @RZNJ) is up almost 5 mph from the last couple of years.  His chase rate is also down considerably, though he’s not walking a ton.  

I heard two interviews of Ryan Fuller and he said Hays put in a ton of work this winter trying to improve his swing path, and it’s paying off.  

I like to hear that guys are working hard in the offseason.  It helps that there are guys pushing hard in the minors to take their jobs.  Didn't hear much in former regimes about guys' offseason work.  I think it was more like Markakis worked hard in the tree stand and Davis's imaginary offseason work.  No more coasting by O's regulars because there is no one that can take their job.

Every time I see Hays defer to Mullins on plays, I wonder why. I get that Mullins is the CF and the LF defers to the CF, but when there is a double in gap with a runner on first, Hays should be the one throwing the ball back in, not Mullins. This has happened once or twice over the last couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Every time I see Hays defer to Mullins on plays, I wonder why. I get that Mullins is the CF and the LF defers to the CF, but when there is a double in gap with a runner on first, Hays should be the one throwing the ball back in, not Mullins. This has happened once or twice over the last couple of weeks.

Completely agree.  Mullins needs to delegate those throws to Hays whenever possible.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Good point.   If either one can catch the ball and there is a throw to be made, you want Hays making the play.

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I didn't see it but hard to understand how a ML player can get hit in the hand while bunting.

It hit right where the top finger was wrapped around the bat. Hit part bat, part finger.  Poor bunt attempt by Hays.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It hit right where the top finger was wrapped around the bat. Hit part bat, part finger.  Poor bunt attempt by Hays.  

It’s been a long time since I bunted but I knew where my hands were and I knew where the barrel was and I knew which part of the bat I wanted the ball to hit.  I wasn’t facing 90+ but I still don’t get it.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

At no point during a bunt attempt should any finger be wrapped around the bat. First day 101 stuff.  It’s insane a MLB Athlete (who knows this) would F up and miss time, mess with winning mojo, and hurt their bottom line by missing time.  Continue to shake my head at the MLB bunt IL fools.