Baker, Wells and Voth

wildcard

I'm not too worried about the spring stats, especially for one inning guys like Baker. I assume Wells is going to the 'pen, and I think he'll settle in like he did in his Rule 5 year. I have no faith in Voth, and that has nothing to do with ST, he's never had sustained success until his half season run with the Orioles last year, and even on that good run the peripherals don't match up with the results.

All that being said, it does seem like there is a hole or two in the bullpen, which is concerning, especially considering our starting rotation does not exactly carry a reputation for going deep into games (and Grayson Rodriguez struggling the second time through the order this spring doesn't really help instill confidence in that regard).

The most important one of the three to me is Baker. He would be needed for higher leverage innings. You want all your pen arms throwing well but if Voth isn’t great out of the gate that can be hidden some being a long man. 

We will have to see what happens with Wells. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

They all feel they are getting better.   They have to feel that way.   And with their records from last year they are probably right.   The question is when does their performance reach an acceptable level?

These are guys that needed to really implode to not make the team so I wasn't worried about early spring stats. Now that we're getting towards the close of spring, the results matter a little more. 

I'd be shocked if Voth doesn't make the team because he's out of options. I think he's going to the pen though they could use him as the 5th starter and use Wells out of the pen where he'll probably be all season once they deem Rodriguez is ready. 

Wells and Baker have options, but you only send Wells to AAA to be starter's depth and Baker showed me enough in the second half that you only consider sending him down if he struggles badly in the early major league action and the bullpen is shot and you need a fresh arm. Then you use the Norfolk shuttle with him.

• Upvote 1

Baker seems like a fungible asset. A RH reliever who had success last year but could very well be below league average in 2023. I hope I'm wrong as the injury to Tate puts Baker in a higher leverage position than He would have been to start the season.

Wells has always struck me as a guy who could be a dominant late innings reliever and can legitimately close out games. Can he start and stay healthy? I'm certain of whether he can. 

Voth is a bulk reliever in my book. He's the RH version of Keegan Akin. I think he can thrive in that role.

With Tate injured, the O's need Baker to continue to be the dominant arm he was in the 2nd half.  If Gray Rod goes to the minors to get back on track at the beginning of the year, who gets the 5th spot, Voth or Wells?  I would lean towards Voth because I think Wells will be better out of the bullpen.

58 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Baker seems like a fungible asset. A RH reliever who had success last year but could very well be below league average in 2023. I hope I'm wrong as the injury to Tate puts Baker in a higher leverage position than He would have been to start the season.

Wells has always struck me as a guy who could be a dominant late innings reliever and can legitimately close out games. Can he start and stay healthy? I'm certain of whether he can. 

Voth is a bulk reliever in my book. He's the RH version of Keegan Akin. I think he can thrive in that role.

Voth has 260+ major league innings under his belt, most of which has come as a bulk reliever...and he hasn't exactly been awesome, I'm not sure he's suddenly going to thrive in that role now. He is what he is at this point, I'd trust Baker over Voth.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Voth has 260+ major league innings under his belt, most of which has come as a bulk reliever...and he hasn't exactly been awesome, I'm not sure he's suddenly going to thrive in that role now. He is what he is at this point, I'd trust Baker over Voth.

I don’t see how you can say Voth “is what he is” after his abrupt turnaround with the O’s last year.  What “is” he?   I think he gets the chance to show his performance with the O’s wasn’t a fluke.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see how you can say Voth “is what he is” after his abrupt turnaround with the O’s last year.  What “is” he?   I think he gets the chance to show his performance with the O’s wasn’t a fluke.  

Hyde said today that there are 3 open spots in the pen.   So who are the five that are in?   Bautista, Perez, Givens, Akin and..........Voth because of his contract  and having not options left is my guess.

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hyde said today that there are 3 open spots in the pen.   So who are the five that are in?   Bautista, Perez, Givens, Akin and..........Voth because of his contract  and having not options left is my guess.

He still considers Wells and Voth in the starter competition.   The 5th guy is Baker.

Baker is in the pen for sure to start the year. I think he ends up being a fine reliever this year.

If GrayRod is in the rotation, Wells and Voth are probably the long men in the pen who will be the first candidates for the rotation if someone is injured/struggles. If GrayRod goes to AAA, one of them steps in. My guess is Voth gets first crack based on last year.

I think both Voth and Wells have a chance to push themselves into the rotation at this point. Rodriguez hasn’t exactly been dominant and I could definitely see Elias using that as an example as to why he should not start in Baltimore. 

But both Zimmermann and Watkins have outperformed Voth and Wells, so they may end up still starting the year in the bullpen regardless. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

All Baker has to do is keep pitching like he did today and I will agree with  that.

It’s not what you think.  It’s what Hyde thinks.  There’s 3 spots.  If Rodriguez makes the rotation, then Voth and Wells go to the bullpen so in all probability there is one spot and it’s between Politi, Krehbiel, and a few others.  I have seen nothing from Politi that makes me think he should be kept.   They may surprise us and go with someone like Baumann if he looks good he’s next couple of times.    But I don’t think there are really 3 open spots.  At least one of those go to Voth or Wells.  Maybe two depending on GRod.