Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

On 9/18/2023 at 12:19 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Just as a catcher?

There have been 49 catchers who've caught 50+ games this year. While catching Rutschman is:

12th in OPS
2nd in PA
6th in Runs
5th in Hits
6th(t) in Doubles
21st in Homers
13th in RBI
1st in Walks
17th in Strikeouts
8th in Average
3rd in OBP (virtual tie for 2nd with William Contreras)
24th in Slugging
11th in Total Bases

But there are also 56 players who've DH'd in at least 25 games and while DHing Rutschman is:
11th in OPS
12th in OBP
11th in SLG

So not only is he a top 10 catcher, he's also better than 80% of the players teams have DH'd on a semi-regular basis.

• Thanks 2

.275/.372/.434 after today’s performance. Hopefully he finishes strong.  

I’ve also noticed that Adley has been throwing better lately.  Sometimes it hasn’t resulted in a CS because the base was stolen on the pitcher.  But the throws that are wide left or bounce 4 feet in front of the bag nave stopped.  He made a great throw today that Westburg caught on a short hop and made an excellent tag on.  

Edited by Frobby

A little disappointed in this year for Adley, but if an .800ish OPS season is an off year for him, I'll take it.  Comparing Adley's 2023 to Wieters's best season (2011 or 2012 it seems), Wieters really never had a better season than Adley is having this year.  He never topped .800 OPS in a full season, never topped .330 OBP in a full season and his extra base high was 51 (Adley at 49 right now).  It looks like Adley will never be a Posey type offensive force, but if he's the 2nd best catcher in the last 20 years, I'll gladly take that. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Those comments are months old.

Really?  This is from SportsGuy on September 15.

“First of all, his manager is doing a terrible job of managing his time and it’s hurting him.”

This is from Malike also on September 15.

“There is a reason that teams other than the O's aren't giving their catchers 600 ABs. DH or Catching, wears you down. I don't recall his legs buckling on swings in the first half of the season.”

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

A little disappointed in this year for Adley, but if an .800ish OPS season is an off year for him, I'll take it.  Comparing Adley's 2023 to Wieters's best season (2011 or 2012 it seems), Wieters really never had a better season than Adley is having this year.  He never topped .800 OPS in a full season, never topped .330 OBP in a full season and his extra base high was 51 (Adley at 49 right now).  It looks like Adley will never be a Posey type offensive force, but if he's the 2nd best catcher in the last 20 years, I'll gladly take that. 

Posey had a .756 OPS in year two. His current career OPS+ of 128 is just below Posey's career 129. I don't think we should rule out Posey comps just yet. In some ways he is already in the conversation, at least.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, I like it when RZNJ comes in and tries to hold people's feet to the fire for comments that were made a week or two ago.  

Trolls gotta troll. 

He has been on a roll since the 3rd Tampa game. Up until then, in Sept, he was 10-49 with 2 homers and 2 doubles..he was walking a lot though.

Great to see him close the season out well since then though. Hope to see him really fresh come playoff time.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, I like it when RZNJ comes in and tries to hold people's feet to the fire for comments that were made a week or two ago.  

Why not?  If they claimed Rutschman’s performance was due to overuse 2 weeks ago and he’s currently having his best month of the year it’s certainly fair to question the “he’s not performing well because he’s run down” angle.    

As for SportsGuy, anyone who points out that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about is a troll.   If you can’t reason you might as well name call.  The last refuge of LOSERS.