Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

For a fun exercise - compare Rutschman's stats through 173 games with Buster Posey's first 164 games played (2009 - 2011 seasons).  You will find Rutschman compares very favorably to Posey, if not better.   If the O's get a career similar to Posey out of Rutschman, they will put a statue of him at Camden Yards.  His trajectory is very encouraging, even without the power numbers. 

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

For a fun exercise - compare Rutschman's stats through 173 games with Buster Posey's first 164 games played (2009 - 2011 seasons).  You will find Rutschman compares very favorably to Posey, if not better.   If the O's get a career similar to Posey out of Rutschman, they will put a statue of him at Camden Yards.  His trajectory is very encouraging, even without the power numbers. 

2 year age difference at time of promotion unfortunately complicates a bit this comparison...

3 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Our pitching is awful at holding runners.    He's not Wieters but 99% of those who ever played the position weren't Wieters, either.  

I agree that Adley doesn't have Wieters arm pre-tommy john. But in the much more valuable category called offense, he's sooo much better!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree that Adley doesn't have Wieters arm pre-tommy john. But in the much more valuable category called offense, he's sooo much better!

I thought the subject was defense.  Our record this year is based on offense and AR is a huge factor.  Like I already said, I don't think AR is the problem with the steals.  

Our WHIP is 20th in baseball giving the opp many steal opportunities.  Our pitchers can't hold runners.  

Wow … talk about being critical. Adley is arguably the best catcher in baseball. Could he be better sure but this is his first full year in the bigs.

Offensively great eye, more walks than Ks and is an above average runner. Could he hit more home runs? I suppose but I believe he will eventually become a consistent 25 homer guy which is amazing for a catcher. 

Defensively, I suppose you could nitpick his arm and base stealing percentage but keep in mind that the league has made it so stolen bases become easier this year. Ricky Henderson would probably have 200 stolen bases in today’s game. One thing that is hard to measure is his ability to handle pitchers especially the young staff we currently have.

I for one hope the guy is a career Oriole and never goes anywhere else especially New York!

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Only if you want it to complicate the comparison. 

I mean, I have no real desire to complicate it (though I admit I'm a bit traumatized from Wieters), but it is definitely worth noting though, right?