Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

I dont even know whetr the Adley is struggling narrative is coming from. His numbers are solid for the year and for Sept. His worst month was back in May. He has two 0/4 days but some good games before that. His defense has gotten progressively better (and had some good blocks for Bradish yesterday). He has more games overall than most C's but his innings and games at catcher are within normal for good C. If the worst thing Hyde/Elias is doing is excessive DHing I think he can be forgiven. 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I dont even know whetr the Adley is struggling narrative is coming from. His numbers are solid for the year and for Sept. His worst month was back in May. He has two 0/4 days but some good games before that. His defense has gotten progressively better (and had some good blocks for Bradish yesterday). He has more games overall than most C's but his innings and games at catcher are within normal for good C. If the worst thing Hyde/Elias is doing is excessive DHing I think he can be forgiven. 

He has 6 homers since the AS break he has 2 doubles in his last 85ish PA. His slugging batting leadoff is under 400.

He is showing little to no power and the power is down and has been down all year.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has 6 homers since the AS break he has 2 doubles in his last 85ish PA. His slugging batting leadoff is under 400.

He is showing little to no power and the power is down and has been down all year.

Sounds like moving him around in the lineup isn't going to be a solution then.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Sounds like moving him around in the lineup isn't going to be a solution then.

Well it just depends. It may not. But the mindset matters. It mattered for Nick. Have heard many other players in the past talk about it. It may not matter for Adley. He may have the same approach. Personally, I think it’s silly and the approach should always be the same but the reality is that it’s not, at least for some players.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it just depends. It may not. But the mindset matters. It mattered for Nick. Have heard many other players in the past talk about it. It may not matter for Adley. He may have the same approach. Personally, I think it’s silly and the approach should always be the same but the reality is that it’s not, at least for some players.

I think the much bigger thing is that this is just who Adley is.

I said it before the season: I thought people's offensive expectations were way too high, and they weren't appreciating just how difficult it is to be a true MOO bat while playing catcher every night.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I said it before the season: I thought people's offensive expectations were way too high, and they weren't appreciating just how difficult it is to be a true MOO bat while playing catcher every night.

Expecting him to be what he was last year or slightly better wasn’t expecting too much. That’s crazy talk.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Adley does not have enough major league at bats to declare that this is “who he is”. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Expecting him to be what he was last year or slightly better wasn’t expecting too much. That’s crazy talk.

His OPS is down like 20 points.  A hot night and he's right back where he was last year.

That's in over 200 more ABs.  That takes a toll.

He's not going to be a 900 OPS monster.  He's going to hit ~20% above league average and he's going to see a lot of pitches and get on base.  Sounds like an ideal 1/2 hitter to me.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

His OPS is down like 20 points.  A hot night and he's right back where he was last year.

That's in over 200 more ABs.  That takes a toll.

He's not going to be a 900 OPS monster.  He's going to hit ~20% above league average and he's going to see a lot of pitches and get on base.  Sounds like an ideal 1/2 hitter to me.

He should be a 260-280 hitter..360-390 OBP, 450-480 slugging guy.

So, 870 OPs in his best seasons…810 in his worst. 

That should be what he is during his prime years, which is what he is in right now. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He should be a 260-280 hitter..360-390 OBP, 450-480 slugging guy.

So, 870 OPs in his best seasons…810 in his worst. 

That should be what he is during his prime years, which is what he is in right now. 

I think your expectations are too high and I think reality is showing that.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I like picking on SG but I agree with him a lot.  And I agree with him here.

We've got last year and this year to look at Adley...one great season where, if he'd played the whole year, could have snagged the ROY from Julio Rodriguez and got some down-ballot MVP love.  And this year which is solid, but not great...certainly not as good as last year.  

Too early to tell who he is moving forward.  It's hard to project.

That said, I don't think SG's .870ish OPS projections are out of line at all.  They're reasonable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like picking on SG but I agree with him a lot.  And I agree with him here.

We've got last year and this year to look at Adley...one great season where, if he'd played the whole year, could have snagged the ROY from Julio Rodriguez and got some down-ballot MVP love.  And this year which is solid, but not great...certainly not as good as last year.  

Too early to tell who he is moving forward.  It's hard to project.

That said, I don't think SG's .870ish OPS projections are out of line at all.  They're reasonable.

An 870 OPS would put Adley at #12 in all of MLB.

Do we really expect Adley to be a top 10ish hitter in all of MLB?

I don't and I never have.  And those that have, I have consistently said their expectations are too high.

Why SHOULD Adley be a top 10 hitter in all of MLB?

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Why are they too high? You are saying right now that expecting him to be as good as Posey is unrealistic? Posey had 7 seasons of an OPS over 810 and a career OPS of over 830 playing in a great pitchers park.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Why are they too high? You are saying right now that expecting him to be as good as Posey is unrealistic? Posey had 7 seasons of an OPS over 810 and a career OPS of over 830 playing in a great pitchers park.

Yes, I don't expect him to be as good as Posey.  Posey's numbers also came in much friendlier offensive environments.