Worst-ever regular season Orioles losses?

Frobby

That disgusting loss yesterday certainly ranks high on my list of the worst regular season losses ever for the Orioles.

In any season, there are likely to be a few walk-off losses, including a couple involving blowing a lead in the 9th.  So that by itself isn’t enough to get it on the epic loss list.   There have to be other elements.   Yesterday ranks up there because we blew a 6-run lead, had the win in McKenna’s glove, and lost on a homer that was an inch away from being a double, with 2 outs in the 9th and the lead.  

So at the risk of getting masochistic, what other regular season losses really stand out in your mind?   For me, there were two, both coming in 2007.

1.  The Mothers Day Massacre.  Leading 5-0 in the 9th, the Orioles pulled Jeremy Guthrie with one out after a dropped pop fly by the catcher, only to see Danys Baez and Chris Ray cough up 5 hits and 3 walks and allow 6 runs to score, the last two on a grounder where Ray missed a relay throw covering 1B.

2.  April 7, 2007.  Leading the Yankees 7-3 in the 8th, the O’s allowed 3 in the 8th,  then got the first two outs to start the 9th.  But then the Yankees loaded loaded the bases, and on a 1-2 pitch, ARod hit a grand slam to walk it off 10-7 for the Yankees.  It was the Yankees, it was ARod, it was blowing a 4-run lead late, and I hated it.  

What’s on your personal list?   

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mother’s Day Massacre. Remember getting home in time just to watch the **** show. 

Obviously not a heartbreaker, but 30-3. 

I was at the 30-3 mess.  A also saw them lose 22-7 to Toronto in 2021 and 17-4 to Boston in 2022.  I still prefer those to these late blown lead games. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I disagree, yesterday's was pretty bad. I can't remember losing the game thanks to a lazy pop up that wasn't caught. 

It’s the second game of the year. Tons of losses have happened in bad ways at more critical parts of the season.

Whether it’s a dropped fly ball or a blown save or a team coming back when you are up by a lot, it’s all the same.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Disagree. 

Ryan McKenna won’t ever be looked at in the same way again. Also, with less games against the division this year, the head to head matchups in the division matter a little more. 

Yes I agree..people are dumb and allow one play to get etched into their mind. He made a great sliding catch earlier in the game and has been an elite defensive OFer but yes, let’s allow one mistake to define his career.

It is mind numbingly stupid imo.

• Upvote 2