Connor Norby 2023

glenn__davis

Norby does not have to be added to the major league roster this off season to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.   That means Elias has some time to trade him even if it goes into next season.   But I agree trading him is probably the path they take.   

I think Norby and Stowers are both traded for guys in the low minors to reenforce the farm system.   Stowers probably has to come to ST and prove he is healthy after being hit in the head with a pitch.

Keep the best and trade the rest.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Keep him in LF. He's not a consistent 2B and has enough bat and speed to be a solid left-fielder. he just needs experience out there.

Looked like an outfielder on that one.   He’s made some nice looking plays at 2B as well.   It’s going to be interesting to see what Elias eventually does with Norby, Ortiz, Cowser and Kjerstad between now and next June. I don’t think we see as much turnover on the 2024 OD Orioles as some think.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Looked like an outfielder on that one.   He’s made some nice looking plays at 2B as well.   It’s going to be interesting to see what Elias eventually does with Norby, Ortiz, Cowser and Kjerstad between now and next June. I don’t think we see as much turnover on the 2024 OD Orioles as some think.

According to the AAA stats Norby is not as good as Cowser or Kjerstad in the outfield and not as good as Westburg, Ortiz and Holliday in the infield.   Moving Norby to the outfield would only be to increase his trade value IMO.

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure, he's made some nice highlight reel plays, but also some of the most little league errors you will ever see. If the Orioles are playing him at 2B mostly still it's because they are trying to sell him as a second baseman. No way he's ever a starting 2B for the Orioles with his defensive woes.

Elias has many interesting decisions to make this offseason, but let's hope it's after a World Series Championship! 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure, he's made some nice highlight reel plays, but also some of the most little league errors you will ever see. If the Orioles are playing him at 2B mostly still it's because they are trying to sell him as a second baseman. No way he's ever a starting 2B for the Orioles with his defensive woes.

Like what Dan did with Mountcastle.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like what Dan did with Mountcastle.

It's not quite as bad as Mountcastle playing SS, but similar i guess. I mean, if you willing to deal with some head scratching awful defensive plays at 2B, feel free to play him there because he'll make a nifty highlight reel play at times too. 

I just rather find him a true home defensively and perhaps LF is the place. Can't hurt his value overall.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think we see as much turnover on the 2024 OD Orioles as some think.

I suspect you're right on this.  We'll see some for sure, but not the degree many seem to anticipate.  Norby is one of many potentials, but the team control angle doesn't force our hand either.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's not quite as bad as Mountcastle playing SS, but similar i guess. I mean, if you willing to deal with some head scratching awful defensive plays at 2B, feel free to play him there because he'll make a nifty highlight reel play at times too. 

I just rather find him a true home defensively and perhaps LF is the place. Can't hurt his value overall.

He was supposed to be playing LF at Norfolk once Holliday was promoted (Holliday and Ortiz would split time between SS and 2B), but Ortiz has been out with an oblique issue so Norby has stayed on the dirt. 

On 9/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, scarey1999 said:

He was supposed to be playing LF at Norfolk once Holliday was promoted (Holliday and Ortiz would split time between SS and 2B), but Ortiz has been out with an oblique issue so Norby has stayed on the dirt. 

Norby has not played in at least the last three Tides games 🤔