DL Hall 2023

justD

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

For the 100th time, there is nothing that says a guy like Hall can’t start his career as a reliever for 1 or 2 years and switch back to starting.    Look at Chris Sale.  Look at Corbin Burnes.   Look at Mike Flanagan.   It’s not something new.

No need for the snark.  I just prefer to have young highly rated starters to stay in their routine and build up their innings and their pitching philosophy as a starter.  You mention three examples over a 40 year span; that hardly proves your point.  Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's the best thing for every pitcher.  Every pitcher, and every pitcher's arm is different.  If you yo-yo him back and forth between being a starter and reliever, and AAA and the majors, I think it slows a pitcher's development.  And I think that's especially true for a pitcher like Hall who has always struggled with control and command.  Just my opinion, and you're welcome to have yours.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Otter said:

No need for the snark.  I just prefer to have young highly rated starters to stay in their routine and build up their innings and their pitching philosophy as a starter.  You mention three examples over a 40 year span; that hardly proves your point.  Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's the best thing for every pitcher.  Every pitcher, and every pitcher's arm is different.  If you yo-yo him back and forth between being a starter and reliever, and AAA and the majors, I think it slows a pitcher's development.  And I think that's especially true for a pitcher like Hall who has always struggled with control and command.  Just my opinion, and you're welcome to have yours.

Just because I only gave three examples doesn’t mean their aren’t a lot more.  Sorry for the snark.  It’s just that I actually have said it 100 times on here.  There’s something to be said for getting ML hitters out for one or two innings and maybe concentrating on throwing 2-3 pitches for strikes instead of 3-4.    Sports is about execution, consistency, and confidence.   There’s only one way to gain confidence on getting ML hitters out and it’s not pitching in AAA.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Earl Weaver himself believed that most pitchers should start their MLB careers in long relief.  

I honestly think that we have every reason to think Hall would have either been a starter in the majors, or in long relief, if he was healthy with velocity this year. 

It's not even a question of whether a healthy Hall is good enough, it's a question of when we'll get a healthy Hall so we can evaluate the best place to pitch him.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I honestly think that we have every reason to think Hall would have either been a starter in the majors, or in long relief, if he was healthy with velocity this year. 

It's not even a question of whether a healthy Hall is good enough, it's a question of when we'll get a healthy Hall so we can evaluate the best place to pitch him.  

I think there is absolutely a question if he would have been good as a starter if healthy.  He’s never proven that he can throw enough strikes to go both 5-6/innings and be effective.   The velocity thing was apparent last year in relief aun the majors and this year.

First inning:

2Ks & a ground ball out.  hard fast balls and a nasty slider.  No one is catching up with the fastballs.  Lot of weak swings. 

Second inning:
3-0 to a k on first batter. Blew first batter away with FB.  No mph readings tonight :(

2-0 to 2-2 then a soft liner to RF.  FB looks pretty strong.  A lot of swing and miss/weak contact. 

Struck out 3rd batter on a FB. 

Struck out 4th batter.  A lot of strikes.  Complete domination.   Will him come out for a third? Edit: Nope he’s done.  One of the most dominant pitching performances I’ve seen in a while.  I think he’s fixed lol.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1