Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

The "no-doubles" defense actually burned Detroit there. Baddoo was so deep, and maybe a bit towards the gap to cut off Elrod's corner, that it took him longer than usual to get to a relatively slowly hit ball in the corner. Put that together with Mateo's speed and Baddoo having a weak arm/not expecting the send and it was a perfect storm for a surprising score. 

Also an example of the new LF wall providing an advantage for non-HR offense. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I know we're moving on, and so be it, but I saw that on twitter and wanted to comment.

Thank you for standing up for Tony and the Oh.

But could you have done it without referring to yourself as the "highest profile poster" from the OH?  ;) 

I didn’t say that..I said most arguably the most prolific poster..ie, I post as much/more than anyone and know exactly what the arguments are (I was told I didn’t know those arguments)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Then who the hell invented it?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one seems to know.

One theory is it came from the Latin LGBTQ community as it is a non-gendered term.

a 2021 Gallup poll shows only 4% of the Hispanic community uses the term.

Without getting too in the weeds/political, Can of Corn is correct in its origin, and then it caught in a larger sense with people who perceived themselves to be well-meaning/inclusive in its usage. Sadly, no one asked the Latino/Hispanic community, and subsequent polling—including a well-known Pew Research Center study—has shown it's largely despised. I think if you want to personally identify as Latinx, go for it. But I would never go up to Felix Bautsita and say, "As a Latinx closer, how does it feel to throw 101?" 

39 minutes ago, SpOkane said:

Jeff "Hands of" Stone?

I saw Stone with the Phillies before he wound up with the Orioles. He was one of the fastest players that I ever saw… combined with some of the worst baseball instincts that I ever saw. On that ground ball Santander hit, he would have been diving back to first so as not to get doubled off. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, InsideCoroner said:

I saw Stone with the Phillies before he wound up with the Orioles. He was one of the fastest players that I ever saw… combined with some of the worst baseball instincts that I ever saw. On that ground ball Santander hit, he would have been diving back to first so as not to get doubled off. 

Shrimp cocktail.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t say that..I said most arguably the most prolific poster..ie, I post as much/more than anyone and know exactly what the arguments are (I was told I didn’t know those arguments)

You worded it kind of strange but I understand you meant what you're saying here and why you were saying it.  I'm just giving you a hard time.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You worded it kind of strange but I understand you meant what you're saying here and why you were saying it.  I'm just giving you a hard time.

Ugh..going back I see now. Mistyped that. Most prolific, not most profile. Stupid.  Lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Then who the hell invented it?

Probably the person who down voted my post. (College aged white girl is a safe bet) They will probably down vote that one too. 

Mateo was looking pretty gassed by the time he made it home. I showed the replay to my wife and she commented he looks pretty slow. Then I informed her he scored from first and her opinion changed on the play. 

It’s an embarrassment to the Tigers that Mateo scored from first on that hit.  No way that should happen in the major leagues even with Mateo’s speed.  

And the “wild pitch” barely hit the dirt.  The catcher did a terrible job there.

Hey guys! Long time ghost reader, about 2 years on these boards. But this win streak has me itching to post and get more involved.

I know we have played some bad teams, but beating bad teams is how you become a good team. Matoe's ability to force infielders to drop the ball / make errors is awesome. I've never seen anything like that, I wish there was a state to account for how nervous he makes people lol

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I was trying (and struggling) to think of the last Orioles player who would have scored from first on that Santander grounder just inside the third base bag. I was even going back to Eric Davis… or Alan Wiggins. That was impressive.

Rich Coggins?