Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

All last year I was calling Jorge Mateo SUPERSTAR.  A lot of people wanted him dumped to make room for whomever.  Mateo's weakness last year was Adam Jones disease.  He never saw a slider in the dirt he didn't love.  He seems to have fixed that.  

Meanwhile, his putative replacement's throws across the diamond can best be described as indifferent.  

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The question I have is at what point do we move him up in the lineup? Is the 9th spot in the order really where we want our best hitter? 

63 PA……he moves up when he does this for 180+AB.  I’m excited but guarded.  He’s never had success like this so let him stay comfortable where he is and see how it plays out.  No need to put undo pressure on him and stifle what he has going. 

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The question I have is at what point do we move him up in the lineup? Is the 9th spot in the order really where we want our best hitter? 

He’s been batting higher on occasion, depending on the match ups. He batted 6th two games ago, and 8th on Monday. I don’t know if I would move him much higher, not yet. He has made strides, and I have been among his biggest supporters here since his acquisition. I would let him be for a while, and really cement these adjustments into his game. He made strides, at times, last year as well. He then went out and regressed. I would leave him down in the bottom half and keep some of the pressure off him for maybe the remainder of the year. 

• Upvote 1

I'd leave him where he is.  Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.  And if they move him up, I think it should be after 200+ plate appearances.

I'm very, very hesitant on proclaiming that he's for real but I think there's a good chance that this is legit.  His swing decisions look a lot better, he seems to make hard contact.  

It's a big if...but IF he is for real, this is fantastic and he's headed for an MVP caliber type of season.  I can't believe I just typed that but there's nothing he can't do on the field and he is a true 5 tool type talent who's maximizing all those tools at once.  That is rare to see.

I really want to see how he handles his first slump.  How long that slump lasts, how long it takes him (if ever) to bounce back.  He had a torrid streak like this last summer and never really rebounded.  

• Upvote 1

There’s a lot of room between where Mateo currently is (1.049 OPS) and where he was last year (.646).   So, while I don’t think his current level of play is “for real” or sustainable, I have little doubt that by the end of the year, his offensive numbers will be significantly above where they were last year, and he seems to have a decent chance at being average or better offensively for a SS while continuing to play great defense.  It’s a very exciting and important development for the team.  

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really want to see how he handles his first slump.  How long that slump lasts, how long it takes him (if ever) to bounce back.  He had a torrid streak like this last summer and never really rebounded.  

I have been beating this drum for awhile.  However, I must say that this stretch is more impressive than even Mateo’s hottest three week stretch last year.  

• Upvote 1

Mateo has made swing changes from last year to this year.  While his current production won’t last, I do think he can be around an 800 ops.  That is very valuable especially with his defense. The orioles need to start treating him like he is that player.  He is swinging at fewer pitches outside the zone and has always had the raw power and speed.  Sure he could revert back to his old ways, but his hot start is not just based on the fact that he is hacking away at everything like he’s done in the past.  His plate approach has changed.