Kyle Gibson 2023

sportsfan8703

14 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Is Hicks a FA?  I thought his deal was through 2025, with the O’s only being responsible for league minimum.  

Looks like Hicks is only signed through this season at the veteran minimum. I don't see Hicks coming back unless the Orioles trade one of their starting outfielders or Mountcastle.

Orioles have a ton of depth and they need to start playing these prospects or trade them for established talent. Hicks has done very well regardless of what happens to him after the season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hicksaa01.shtml

image.thumb.png.c3b724cb031b204c51eded797406bdd9.png

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Looks like Hicks is only signed through this season at the veteran minimum. I don't see Hicks coming back unless the Orioles trade one of their starting outfielders or Mountcastle.

Orioles have a ton of depth and they need to start playing these prospects or trade them for established talent. Hicks has done very well regardless of what happens to him after the season.

My understanding from the contract experts here is that he is a free agent, but whoever signs him pays the league minimum, with the Yankees picking up the rest of his salary up to $9.786M. If he likes Baltimore and we want him back, he is ours for the minimum and he has no incentive to look elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

187 innings eaten.   That’s the third highest total of Gibson’s career.  He’s also tied his career high in starts at 32.  I’d assume he will make one more this weekend, as he’d still be well rested for the playoffs, assuming he’s on the roster.  

Maybe on the playoff roster, but not in the rotation?

His 33rd start will complete a perfect slate.

2022 - just four Arms made it - Gerrit, Burnes, Pivetta and Merrill Kelly

2021 was 7 guys, all in the NL.

2019 had the last occurrences of 34 Games Started, including by Ivan Nova!?!?

If Elias is very ruthless it isn't unimaginable Saturday could be his last game appearance in an Oriole uniform....I hope he'll get a good ovation even if he gets bumped around a little bit.

I expect chemistry upkeep he'll stay on the roster, but I woudn't bet the house on it.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:39 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hicks is still owed all of the 2025 and 2026 money from the Yankees plus the 2026 buyout, so anyone including the Orioles could bring him back for the veteran minimum over the next two years assuming Hicks is willing to sign with them, so it is not impossible that the O's could bring him back for the minimum again next year.  The only way Hicks could earn more money is if some team was willing to pay him more than $9,875,715 because whatever he is paid offsets what he is owed by the Yankees. No team is going to pay Hicks almost $10 million so it is entirely conceivable that he is brought back as a very cheap insurance policy by the O's next year.

On 9/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, Jim'sKid26 said:

Why?

Hicks has the best OPS on the team at 839, he plays well at both corners and can play CF when ask to, and he costs them the minimum salary.   He is injury prone which does not matter because the O's have Cowser and Kjerstad coming.

Elias likes to have some vets on the team and Hicks fits in well in the clubhouse.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TimD said:

Hicks is still owed all of the 2025 and 2026 money from the Yankees plus the 2026 buyout, so anyone including the Orioles could bring him back for the veteran minimum over the next two years assuming Hicks is willing to sign with them, so it is not impossible that the O's could bring him back for the minimum again next year.  The only way Hicks could earn more money is if some team was willing to pay him more than $9,875,715 because whatever he is paid offsets what he is owed by the Yankees. No team is going to pay Hicks almost $10 million so it is entirely conceivable that he is brought back as a very cheap insurance policy by the O's next year.

Hicks' Yankee contract his for 2024 and 2025.  The Yankees have a 1M buyout for 2026.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hicks has the best OPS on the team at 839, he plays well at both corners and can play CF when ask to, and he costs them the minimum salary.   He is injury prone which does not matter because the O's have Cowser and Kjerstad coming.

Elias likes to have some vets on the team and Hicks fits in well in the clubhouse.

It won’t shock me if they bring Hicks back, but I’d say the odds are less than 50/50.  I’ve enjoyed Hicks’ comeback season but I wouldn’t bet on his ability to repeat it or anything close.   His .335 wOBA is 44 points higher than his xwOBA.   As to his defense, he’s way below average in CF in my opinion, and nothing exceptional on the corners.  

9 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I hope he'll get a good ovation even if he gets bumped around a little bit.

I expect chemistry upkeep he'll stay on the roster, but I woudn't bet the house on it.

I hope he gets a good ovation too.  He's filled his role admirably.

It wouldn't shock me either.  Solid IP, veteranosity...  

I don't really regard Kyle Gibson as an fWAR kind of pitcher, but it was strong on him this year and is interesting to see the contrast between the initial readouts of his 2023:

rWAR = 0.9, fWAR = 2.6

Did that season feel like value of $10mm or $25mm, and will his career earnings from here be another $10mm or $25mm?     

Eight 2-year contracts to SP were given last offseason:

Quintana, Stripling, Lyles, Smyly, Heaney, Eovaldi, Manaea and Trevor Williams

The Giants, with a new manager TBD, under Gabe Kapler in consultation with Farhan's management team, basically deployed both their Stripling and Manaea in swingman roles ending up around 100 IP/each.     That kind of usage pattern in 2024 would be growth for DL Hall.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I don't really regard Kyle Gibson as an fWAR kind of pitcher, but it was strong on him this year and is interesting to see the contrast between the initial readouts of his 2023:

rWAR = 0.9, fWAR = 2.6

Did that season feel like value of $10mm or $25mm, and will his career earnings from here be another $10mm or $25mm?     

It felt more like a $10 mm season.  But we got what we paid for, and then some.  

I’d peg Gibson’s future career earnings as closer to $25 mm than $10 mm.  He just seems like a guy who has a few competitive seasons left in him.  Lyles got a 2/$17 mm deal after his 179 inning, 88 OPS+ season with us.  Gibson just gave us 192 innings of 87 OPS+.  He gave us 17 quality starts and 15 wins.  His next contract will be as good as the current one, maybe better.  And he’ll pitch after that.