Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

It’s going to be 5 years before we have a clue whether Cowser is better than Lawlar and if Creed Willems is a major leaguer.  So, I don’t feel Elias has been proven right or wrong.  

My overall feeling is that making consistently good picks is more important than getting one pick exactly right.   And, I feel it’s obvious Elias has done that.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't pay either of them slot.  Holliday got like 5K more than Jones.

They paid them the going rate.   Let's not split hairs.   They didn't look to do a Henry Davis deal like the Pirates did.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They paid them the going rate.   Let's not split hairs.   They didn't look to do a Henry Davis deal like the Pirates did.

Witt signed for full slot at 1-2, Jones signed for over slot at 1-2;  Torkelson signed for over slot at at 1-1.

How is underslot the going rate?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Witt signed for full slot at 1-2, Jones signed for over slot at 1-2;  Torkelson signed for over slot at at 1-1.

Most normal posters get what I was saying.     You have issues.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Adley and Jackson were slot.  Are you suggesting they should have given them more?  Regardless, I look at your examples and it sheds an even more favorable light on how Elias has handled the draft.  Especially the 1.1 picks.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s going to be 5 years before we have a clue whether Cowser is better than Lawlar and if Creed Willems is a major leaguer.  So, I don’t feel Elias has been proven right or wrong.  

My overall feeling is that making consistently good picks is more important than getting one pick exactly right.   And, I feel it’s obvious Elias has done that.  

Agreed.  I prefer to focus on the trends more than individual pick analysis.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They were not slot.

I have no issue with the picks.  But they were both underslot choices.  Money was saved.

Adley was the record signing bonuses at the time.  I believe Jackson  is only behind Tork’s overpay in the history books.  If it quacks like a slot and swims like a slot…

If we’re asking these questions about our signings, imagine being a Tiger fan!  1.1 don’t really have bargaining power and to still blow the top off the bonus is silly.  Get in the ballpark and they’ll sign.