Cedric Mullins 2023

interloper

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not too worried about who the team MVP is through 47 games.  Mullins is playing great baseball right now and let’s hope that continues.  

Mullins had a great year in 2021 but he faded down the stretch a little.  He had a .921 OPS at the all star break, .822 afterwards.  So, it’s a long year and we’ll see how everything goes.  

As to Adley, I just have this sense that he has another gear offensively that we really haven’t seen yet. He’s got such a disciplined approach, but he doesn’t always punish the truly fat pitches when he gets them.  I feel like one day — not necessarily this year, but in the next year or so — he’s going to explode into an absolute monster.   Until then, I’m quite satisfied with the current version and his .400 OBP/134 OPS+.   

IIRC he was sick that year with something. Can’t remember what. 

It’s rather amazing that Mullins has 38 RBI in 47 games, primarily batting leadoff.  He’s had fewer than average opportunities with runners on base for a player with 198 PA, but boy is he cashing in his opportunities.  

With RISP: 475/.588/.875.

With runners on: .390/.507/.678

High leverage: .393/.541/.693

Late & close: .665/.655/1.044 (yes, you read that right!)

That is about as good a performance in clutch situations as it’s humanly possible to have.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s rather amazing that Mullins has 38 RBI in 47 games, primarily batting leadoff.  He’s had fewer than average opportunities with runners on base for a player with 198 PA, but boy is he cashing in his opportunities.  

With RISP: 475/.588/.875.

With runners on: .390/.507/.678

High leverage: .393/.541/.693

Late & close: .665/.655/1.044 (yes, you read that right!)

That is about as good a performance in clutch situations as it’s humanly possible to have.  

I actually took note of his high RBIs yesterday during the game.

I hypothesized it was due to the unusually strong performance, particularly on base wise, of guys typically hitting towards the bottom of the lineup- Mateo, Frazier, Henderson.

But those numbers spell it out pretty clear.  That's pretty crazy and impressive.

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cedric Mullins is currently on pace for .876 OPS, 24 home runs, 41 doubles, 10 triples and 131 RBIs. 😱

Realistically there should be a correction coming to some of those stats, but Mullins is on pace for a very good season even if he cools down a bit.

And that's not even taking into account his defense and all the runs he's prevented.

• 2 months later...