Drew Rom 2023

Frobby

Bucs/Cards game set to begin at 7:05.  Announcers to give their take on Rom next.  Well not much there except to repeat the Cards pitchers who made debuts at PNC Park.  I plan to watch some of this since I haven’t seen Rom pitch.

Edited by bobmc

Nice to see Rom be able to say he pitched in the major leagues. Most kids drafted, even in the 3rd round can not say that. 

Saying that, unfortunately his inability to learn how to throw a quality changeup (his splitter kind of acts like one but he doesn't command it very well) combined with a 90 MPH straight fastball really doesn't give him much room for error.

He only garnered 4 WHIFFs all game and had a 94% zcontact rate which means batters don't miss much when he throws the ball over the plate. Combine that with a just a 13% oSwing% and he wasn't getting guys to chase either.

That's not a good combination for success and mirrors a bit of what I was seeing from him once he got to AAA. He got more guys to chase in AAA because well, they're AAA hitters, but the quality of stuff just never really improved and that jump in velocity that was hoped for never materialized.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

“Meh” is a very kind description.  You’re such a mensch!

• Welp, he looked good with the beard, comported himself well and his mom and dad were engaging and proud.  As Tony said, not many kids get the chance he did.  🫠