Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

42 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Now that we've had about half our live looks at Masataka Yoshida, are you confident Gunnar can outplay him for that shiny draft pick?

I certainly hope that the CBA doesn’t award a draft pick if a foreign professional is signed to a big contract and wins Rookie of the Year.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I certainly hope that the CBA doesn’t award a draft pick if a foreign professional is signed to a big contract and wins Rookie of the Year.   

For me it depends.  If they are international free agents I agree with you but if they are posted they should be able to earn the year of service time and get the additional payment.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

For me it depends.  If they are international free agents I agree with you but if they are posted they should be able to earn the year of service time and get the additional payment.

I’m a little ignorant about who can be posted these days, and what teams typically do after signing a posted player.  But the purpose of the rule is to give teams a disincentive to play service time games, and I’m not sure that problem exists in the case of posted players.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m a little ignorant about who can be posted these days, and what teams typically do after signing a posted player.  But the purpose of the rule is to give teams a disincentive to play service time games, and I’m not sure that problem exists in the case of posted players.   

If a player is added via posting they are under team control as if they had been drafted or signed as a 16 year old.  Nothing is stopping a team from sending that player down.

Look at what Ohtani has been making while being the best player in the game.

Now someone like Chen or Koji who signed a normal free agent contract, I can see them being excluded.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Doesn’t the rule state they have to be a top 100 prospect by 3 outlets?  So I would imagine they have to spend a year in the minors to get on those lists. 

20 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Doesn’t the rule state they have to be a top 100 prospect by 3 outlets?  So I would imagine they have to spend a year in the minors to get on those lists. 

This is kind of what I was thinking. Yoshida never played in the minors, so he doesn't fit into the rule.

I don't know the fine details of the CBA well enough to know if a Yoshida win or place would be a pick for the Red Sox, but it would block one of the slots where Gunnar/Grayson could earn the carrot for the Orioles.

I believe in the AL this year only Julio got SEA a bonus.    I thought the 1st and 2nd place RoY finishers might rate picks IF they also met other requirements, which Adley did not.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar's bWAR is at an even 0.0 despite the .363 OBP.  

I'm confident that number will go up but I figured he'd be around .3 or so.

It’s the defense.  He’s at -4 rDRS, which is the stat that feeds into bWAR.  -4 equates roughly to -.4 WAR.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Henderson over his last 11 games and 40 PAs: .273/.400/.424/.824 with 6 BB and 10 Ks. He's starting to come around.

Stumbled out of the gate... a little self-doubt... he's a kid. Kinda expected.

I could sense a little bit of progress, but didn't know it was this solid.

Thanks for posting this

It's hard to be patient when rooting for The O's. Patience is in short supply on here. My wife of 61 years has a new favorite Oriole. Got to get her a Gunner shirt. She loves the youth, hair, and particularly his approach at the plate. He will to be good. Book it. Based on no statistic at all except my wife is NEVER WRONG!