Bemboom DFA, O’Hearn is called up

eddie83

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O'Hearn is 3 for 25 vs the three pitchers.

Many managers and their analytics teams do match ups.   Sometimes there are not  a lot of  at bats to go by.   But is better than nothing and managers do have to make out lineups.

Its really weighing who is currently hitting, vs their hitting history, vs  the match up with the pitcher IMO.

Gotta think a lot of guys are 3 for 25 against those 3 pitchers

On 4/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, Tony-OH said:

Too bad the team doesn't have an outfielder that hits lefties and could have played RF while Santander was out with back issues instead of Frazier. I mean, there was a guy who OPs'd over .900 against AAA lefties last year, but he bats left-handed so clearly he can hit major league lefties. Of course, Frazier has major league stats that says he can't, but hey, Orioles roster management!

As for O'Hearn, he makes more sense than Bemboom and honestly Vavra since all they're doing is using Vavra as an outfielder and PH. 

The refusal to play Stowers against lefties - or at all - is equally frustrating and mind boggling. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

The refusal to play Stowers against lefties - or at all - is equally frustrating and mind boggling. 

In 3 games he’s struck out 5x in 12ABs since going to Norfolk.  So that’s 8ks in 16ABs on the season.  Gotta hit the ball for the power to play.   

Edited by emmett16

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

In 3 games he’s struck out 5x in 12ABs since going to Norfolk.  Gotta hit the ball for the power to play.   

You're not wrong, but Stowers was also sitting most days over a two week stretch with the major league team before being sent down. Totally understandable if his timing is off.

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

You're not wrong, but Stowers was also sitting most days over a two week stretch with the major league team before being sent down. Totally understandable if his timing is off.

That’s fair, and I don’t disagree his timing is likely rusty.  But there is a fairly significant trend here.  He swings and misses a lot.  Sometimes it looks like he misses the ball by 3’ (exaggerating). 

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

That’s fair, and I don’t disagree his timing is likely rusty.  But there is a fairly significant trend here.  He swings and misses a lot.  Sometimes it looks like he misses the ball by 3’ (exaggerating). 

He's always had a good bit of swing and miss, though. He just walks a lot and hits for enough power to make up for it. At least in the minors up until this point. I don't really consider any of Stowers stats in the majors to be a worthwhile sample size to conclude anything because he was jerked around and sat so much. 

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

He's always had a good bit of swing and miss, though. He just walks a lot and hits for enough power to make up for it. At least in the minors up until this point. I don't really consider any of Stowers stats in the majors to be a worthwhile sample size to conclude anything because he was jerked around and sat so much. 

If you struggle putting bat on the ball (66% C% & 32% K%) the xWOBACON, albeit incredible, does not come into play often enough.  If you have a hole in your swing, or a few  holes (in his case), MLB pitchers will exploit you. 

19 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Your hatred of Stowers as a player has been noted repeatedly. Please remember that when he's given an everyday chance somewhere and he ends putting up good numbers at the major league level.

Yes, he has contact issues at times, but you pointing out his three games of stats since he's been back in AAA after basically being benched for almost two weeks shows your bias.

At this point, we just have to see how it plays out.

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I've seen Stowers swing terribly at two pitches and then hit a 450 feet home run. I've seen him strike out badly in two plate appearances then smack a long homer in his 3rd PA. It's just the kind of player he is honestly. There is always going to be some above average miss in his swing, but he'll make adjustments and if given everyday PAs, he's performed well in the minors. 

I'd rather him be in AAA though playing then sitting and never playing at the major league level. Since the Orioles are hell bent on him not facing lefties, they are losing out on something he does well so they really should move him in a deal to a team that will give him that shot.

I'm fine with O'Hearn being the 25/26th man since the Orioles have shown no indication they plan to use their entire roster very often. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Your hatred of Stowers as a player has been noted repeatedly. Please remember that when he's given an everyday chance somewhere and he ends putting up good numbers at the major league level.

Yes, he has contact issues at times, but you pointing out his three games of stats since he's been back in AAA after basically being benched for almost two weeks shows your bias.

Tony, you seem pretty sure about Stowers.   Are you really convinced that he’s going to be a good ML starting OF?        

My concerns about Stowers.  

1.  He’s slower than I anticipated although he catches everything he gets to.

2.  He seems to get tied up on anything inner half which might explain why he’s actually better against LHP who usually work away to LH hitters.   He really likes to get full extension on his swing.   Again, he looks better going the other way than pulling the ball.

3.  His calling card is home run power.  He only hit 3 and slugged .418 last year in 98 PA.   

4.  5 walks and 29 k’s in those 98 PA last year.   

Edited by RZNJ

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tony, you seem pretty sure about Stowers.   Are you really convinced that he’s going to be a good ML starting OF?        

My concerns about Stowers.  

1.  He’s slower than I anticipated although he catches everything he gets to.

2.  He seems to get tied up on anything inner half which might explain why he’s actually better against LHP who usually work away to LH hitters.   He really likes to get full extension on his swing.   Again, he looks better going the other way than pulling the ball.

3.  His calling card is home run power.  He only hit 3 and slugged .418 last year in 98 PA.   

4.  5 walks and 29 k’s in those 98 PA last year.   

Well, no one can ever be SURE a minor league player will do well in the show, but minor league stats tend to be a good indicator, particularly AAA stats. On top of it all, I just like the fact that he hits the ball very hard, can go the other way, can drive the ball the other way, and can hit pitchers that are right and left handed with no drop off. 

Your observations are not wrong, but it's hard to take too much out of his major league stats because he rarely played consistently and never against lefties where he's had success, success that I think helps him also hitting right-handers. 

The thing is with Stowers is at times he will look very bad, sometimes several PAs in a row, and just when a pitcher thinks they can beat him inside he turns on one for about 430 feet. I've just seen him do it so many times in the minors. 

I agree, he's adequate at best defensively, but I think he would be a fine fit for Camden RF. 

So ultimately, do I think he's a future All-Star? Probably not. Do I think he can be league average 2-4 WIN major league outfielder, absolutely. He just needs someone willing to send him out there everyday. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don’t hate Stowers.  That’s a pretty strong and unwarranted statement.  Please don’t put words in my mouth.  ReAd posts I made in Stowers 2022 thread and you’ll see glowing reviews.  

Im a big fan and hope he crushes it.  And if my critiques some how me me look foolish in someone’s eyes, fantastic  - that means he’s having success.  Probably  BECAUSE  I’m a fan, I’m trying to guard my excitement that his other worldly XWOBACON generates(.445 v .368 league avg.)

He has freak show power and has killed it in the minors despite the swing in miss.  I’m an Os fan and not used to having nice things, so I think part of me expects him to fail just because.

Was going to finally respond to you in the other thread re: his defense.  I will agree I was way too harsh on him. He has a cannon and can move well for a Big guy.  What has made me worry are the bone head plays I’ve seen him make.  For me mental errors are not acceptable for a MLB player(maybe that’s unrealistic) Perhaps I’m holding a grudge on just a few plays and should Let it go :) 

For the record, I would like nothing more for him to be called up tonight and inserted into the lineup as an everyday player. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, no one can ever be SURE a minor league player will do well in the show, but minor league stats tend to be a good indicator, particularly AAA stats. On top of it all, I just like the fact that he hits the ball very hard, can go the other way, can drive the ball the other way, and can hit pitchers that are right and left handed with no drop off. 

Your observations are not wrong, but it's hard to take too much out of his major league stats because he rarely played consistently and never against lefties where he's had success, success that I think helps him also hitting right-handers. 

The thing is with Stowers is at times he will look very bad, sometimes several PAs in a row, and just when a pitcher thinks they can beat him inside he turns on one for about 430 feet. I've just seen him do it so many times in the minors. 

I agree, he's adequate at best defensively, but I think he would be a fine fit for Camden RF. 

So ultimately, do I think he's a future All-Star? Probably not. Do I think he can be league average 2-4 WIN major league outfielder, absolutely. He just needs someone willing to send him out there everyday. 

Have been to a few games where he Ks 2 or 3 times, you wonder if he’s had his eyes checked recently and then BOOM 440 LCF bomb.  I think this is what excites me the most, he seems to make adjustments and does have good contact #s inside the zone.  He chases a good bit for someone who walks so much, but I think his BBS are a function of the power.  My question is cam he get to that power against MLB caliber pitchers to warrant to respect that produce the walks as well.  He’s young and I do think he’ll figure it out, I just think he might take just a little bit longer to get there vs. someone with better bat to balls skills.  

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Being lackadaisical on a fly to CF and letting the runner tag up to 2B or thinking you can catch a runner off of 2B from deep LF after he’s tagged up and strayed off the base only to allow him to make a fool of you by advancing to 3B have nothing to do with being ready for the season or playing multiple positions.  It’s baseball 101.

Sure it does. But it is much more than that play. It is more like 7-8 plays in the OF, and it is all of them. It may be as simple as having a respectful talk with them, and as harsh as shaking up the culture of things with a demotion or trade. Hyde has the pulse of this team pretty well, normally. These are mental blunders, and simply not tracking the ball well also.