Glad to see Spenser Watkins called up

backdoorslider

I am Spenser Watkins fan. This is a guy who clearly does not have MLB caliber stuff. He doesnt belong in the majors. But he is a crafty guy. He knows how to pitch and hit his spots. He understands pitching.

What I like about Watkins is I feel like he can usually give us a chance to actually win the game. He is usually good for about 5 or 6 innings and 3 runs. Hes a guy who should be a 5th starter, but we need him now.

Everybody except Gibby is getting SHELLED. We got to stop getting shelled.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I like the guy, and I'm glad he's had the success he's had, but he's in the bottom few percent for raw stuff, and his strikeout to walk ratio has always been abyssmal. One day the magic is going to run out. I hope it's not this year

Ideally he would be a spot starter, maybe a 5th starter at best. Hell, if we were an elite pitching team no way hes on even on the team. But right now we have serious issues with starting pitching. At least hes not out there making a total idiot of himself who has no idea where the ball is going. He can give you innings and keep the game in reach. 

Hopefully we don’t need him much coming up and that is not a knock on him. Be nice to see some solid starts. 

The two off days coming up will really help as well. I would rather he stay at AAA as insurance but he could take the role Voth has if he keeps struggling. 

He's a good story.  I have a (completely unfair) dislike for him because to me he represents everything bad about the way the Orioles did this rebuild.  And yet our rotation has been so bad that yesterday I found myself rooting for his promotion.  Sad times in the starting rotation.

42 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

He's a good story.  I have a (completely unfair) dislike for him because to me he represents everything bad about the way the Orioles did this rebuild.  And yet our rotation has been so bad that yesterday I found myself rooting for his promotion.  Sad times in the starting rotation.

They are basically replacing Irvin with Bradish after Spencer Watkins gets this one start, so the rotation will get stronger and Wells will be lurking over Kremer's shoulder. Kremer is giving up home runs at an alarming rate. If he keeps that up, then Wells will take his spot in the rotation. I think Kremer has one option left...he could be working on things in Norfolk soon if he doesn't get better. 

He's been terrible in 10 innings in AAA he has 6 walks and has hit 3 batters....   SMH.....  It's going to be a long season considering that our pitching has only pitch well enough to win 2 games so far this year, we're just lucky that our offense has been baling them out or we would be 2 and 11

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What is the corresponding move?

Irvin demoted, apparently.  

I'm not upset about that because he's been awful.  But I'm upset that the Irvin moved was looked at as a key offseason move and we're not even 10% of the way into the season and he's been demoted.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Irvin demoted, apparently.  

I'm not upset about that because he's been awful.  But I'm upset that the Irvin moved was looked at as a key offseason move and we're not even 10% of the way into the season and he's been demoted.  

At one point another poster tried to tell me that technically Irvin counted as a #3 starter.