Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I was incredibly impressed with his performance after the balk that moved the runner to second with no outs.  He handled that pressure like a pro.   He's been a nice surprise out of the pen this year.  

It is really interesting how his mound presence has changed so much from last year. He was so bad at the major league level between the Twins and the Orioles you had to wonder if he was just a guy who wilted in the bright lights of MLB. then, he shows up and not only is everything crisper and he can throws quality strikes with it, but he's out there unfazed in high leverage situations with runners in scoring position. 

I'm struggling to think of a guy who made this much of change from year to year in every aspect of his pitching. It's pretty crazy.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, if you would have told us at the end of spring training that by April 25th, Coulombe and Cano would be our top two of three high leverage relievers (Baker is still the other), I doubt you would have had many believers. Crazy how both of these guys have really become quite impressive and the stuff (baseball savant) suggests this isn't smoke and mirrors.

Seems that teams (Rays foremost) generally are plucking reliever gems out of thin air, kind of goes with the territory. In the Orioles' case it's great to see Hyde & Co. going with the hot hand so readily, whereas in the past (like Buck) I think they would lean more on past success. Still surprised when Hyde throws Voth and Perez out there in key situations, but then every game has been close so there's merit in trying to get them back on track too. Overall the bullpen usage has been good, IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

You may have missed the "To be fair" part of my post....where I was trying to be fair.   But yes, admittedly, that was a snarky dig, based on history.  However, I do understand we don't have the same cast of characters as in the past developing these guys.

And, I hear you, but did they fix Voth and Perez, or did they get lucky with them?  I'm not sure I know the answer to that.   Or, did they fix them last year and break them this year?  So, while I am very pleased with the progress of a lot of guys, I need to see a longer term story that will involve consistency throughout 2023.  

It is still probably a hair early to say the organization is now a leader in development, but they are certainly stacking up some nice successes under Elias and Holt.  Regardless of where the credit is due, it is a nice change and one all of us certainly hope continues.

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hmm, Bradish and Kremer say hello as well as Baker and Perez to a lesser extent. Holt has changed the opinion that the Orioles can't develop pitchers. Saying that, Cano did basically come here with good stuff but tweaks to his release point allowed him to find better command and more movement at the same velocities. He's a good development story.

I would argue that the jury is still out on Kremer and Perez. That being said, things are clearly better than the bad old days of 10-15 years ago. It's interesting to wonder how the Cavalry would have turned out under this group.

• Upvote 2

Its been a daily check for me last few days as it is in the realm of too good to be true, but BAL relievers continue to lead the 30 Clubs in K-BB%.     

It hasn't hurt them yet as all their length pitchers are All-Star game bound, but TBR relievers are laggards there so far.

I believe Givens and Tate will be helpful baton takers for guys who are getting leaned on, but the Cole Irvin experience isn't out of the range of outcomes there either.

• Thanks 1

How are they going to make room for Givens and Tate? I can see cutting Voth and moving Baumann into long relief for one spot but I don't know where the other spot comes from. Perez is struggling but you don't want to be down to two lefties in the 'pen especially when one of them is usually a long guy. 

2 minutes ago, vab said:

How are they going to make room for Givens and Tate? I can see cutting Voth and moving Baumann into long relief for one spot but I don't know where the other spot comes from. Perez is struggling but you don't want to be down to two lefties in the 'pen especially when one of them is usually a long guy. 

If everyone is healthy, best guess is Voth DFA and Akin or Baumann option, even if they're both pitching well. Someone's gotta draw the short straw, and it could be as simple as looking ahead to matchups and choosing between having a RH long guy or a LH long guy. 

The more likely scenario is that it will still be about 2 weeks before we see either Givens or Tate and god knows what things will look like in two weeks. 2 weeks ago we thought our bullpen was on fire, now we think it's elite. 

In either scenario though, I think you have to pass Voth through waivers. I think he clears. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

The Oriole's track record with developing pitchers tells me he came here with this stuff. 

Now - to be fair - I did hear, I think in his interview last night,  that he had two arm angles - one for right hand batters and one for lefties - and the Orioles have moved him to one arm angle that has allowed him to get consistency with his pitched and his control.   So, apparently we did tweak him to an extent.

Let's hope this is another diamond in the rough that we found, and that his success continues.

Pardon the expression but that’s insane!  😇

In his interview with Kevin/JP, they tried to nail down how he has done it and all I heard via Brandon Q was hard work and getting up early (temprano).  He said that he idolized Aroldis Chapman and loved the way he stared down batters after good results.  What a great story!

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Awesome article.

The bind for a hitter is awful. Take a few sinkers because you can’t do anything with them, and you’ll end up with two strikes. Then you’re forced to swing at a sinker, but surprise! Instead of a sinker, he threw a freaking bowling ball. Thanks for playing, come back tomorrow and try again.

This made me laugh out loud.  

Britton bowling ball rerun hope activated.

He got a quick feature on Brian Kenny's show yesterday.    They had a graphic about his top marks in xwOBA and launch angle yielded.

The launch angle one took me a minute to digest as the number was like 14, and the first thing my brain went to is that's right in the 8-32 sweetspot.     The a-ha moment was the average launch angle he's yielding is minus 14.

• Haha 1

Today I learned Bartolo Colon has a fitness academy, and Argentina has a baseball league.

https://calltothepen.com/2020/05/20/minnesota-twins-yennier-cano-dreams-returning-cuba/

I googled his Cuba emigration out of curiosity as with Prieto and Cionel we have a couple guys with different stories.

This June 2019 story of the Twins original signing with some fresh acquired international money about to expire hint to me he was a "leftover" kind of guy who I guess decided not to wait for the new July 2019 period.

https://puckettspond.com/2019/06/15/minnesota-twins-sign-cuban-rhp-yennier-cano/

Cano tied the O’s record for consecutive batters retired at the start of a career, then hit Justin Turner.  Still, another 1.2 scoreless.

Kevin Brown mentioned that Cano’s nickname in Cuba was the “Trench Cannon” but he didn’t know why.  Melanie Newman chimed in that a trench cannon was a weapon used at close range from the trenches in WWI.   Good info from Melanie!

Bautista apparently has nicknamed Cano “the Rock,” but I like Trench Cannon way better.   

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cano tied the O’s record for consecutive batters retired at the start of a career, then hit Justin Turner.  Still, another 1.2 scoreless.

Kevin Brown mentioned that Cano’s nickname in Cuba was the “Trench Cannon” but he didn’t know why.  Melanie Newman chimed in that a trench cannon was a weapon used at close range from the trenches in WWI.   Good info from Melanie!

Bautista apparently has nicknamed Cano “the Rock,” but I like Trench Cannon way better.   

Would be a season, not career, no? IIRC he had MLB time with the O's and Twins last year that were sub-par.

And he's still hitless and walkless, which is something.