Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

On 4/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, Brooks The Great said:

So is Cano going to get the short end of the stick and get sent down when Tate and Givens return simply because Cano has an option? I think Perez should be DFA'd, but Elias and Hyde seem to be hellbent on keeping Perez and hoping he turns things around. 

No way Cano is going anywhere. He hasn't even allowed a hit yet. 

I'd send Kremer down and replace him with Voth in the rotation for Givens. When Tate is ready, it's going to get really interesting. Perez (like Voth) has no options and I doubt they are going to risk losing them. With Baumann's ability to stretch out, Akin is probably the other one that goes down.

I think we may see Tate on a longer rehab

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who new?  MVO!

A dominant performance.     

After I guess about 2.5 years of resting up from 2020, just saw Nick Anderson throw an 8th inning for the Braves, and he looks back to being very sharp.     Anderson-Minter finished off the 8th and 9th quite tidily, but at least both were used on eve of series.

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

A dominant performance.     

After I guess about 2.5 years of resting up from 2020, just saw Nick Anderson throw an 8th inning for the Braves, and he looks back to being very sharp.     Anderson-Minter finished off the 8th and 9th quite tidily, but at least both were used on eve of series.

Minter has been touched up lately.

Keep waiting for the clock to strike midnight, and keep realizing I need another fairy tale.  What a revelation.  I have placed an order with the Minnesota Twins to maintain my pitcher of the month club subscription.  The Wells order was excellent.  Am enjoying the Caulombe order from this spring as well.  The Gibson order started off fresh, and still enjoying.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, HbgOsFan said:

Keep waiting for the clock to strike midnight, and keep realizing I need another fairy tale.  What a revelation.  I have placed an order with the Minnesota Twins to maintain my pitcher of the month club subscription.  The Wells order was excellent.  Am enjoying the Caulombe order from this spring as well.  The Gibson order started off fresh, and still enjoying.

Povich struck out 10 batters in five shutout, one hit, innings in his last outing. Keep ‘em coming!

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:22 AM, Tony-OH said:

No way Cano is going anywhere. He hasn't even allowed a hit yet. 

I'd send Kremer down and replace him with Voth in the rotation for Givens. When Tate is ready, it's going to get really interesting. Perez (like Voth) has no options and I doubt they are going to risk losing them. With Baumann's ability to stretch out, Akin is probably the other one that goes down.

I think we may see Tate on a longer rehab

Updated after the Thurs., May 4th 13-10 Win:

Just two hits and ZERO walks in 11 games/14 innings. Amazing.

Edited by LA2

Do you guys feel the only way we could have acquired Cano was in the Lopez trade?

I tend to doubt it. I tend to think there were a number of ways we could have acquired a reliever that hadn’t shown much in his career. 

Be great to have Cano, Lopez and Bautista in the back end of the pen right now, although obviously we wouldn’t have Povich and he is looking very good.

But anyway, not trying to make this about that Lopez trade but more of a thought about how I hope Elias can continue to try to find a way to get these relievers that aren’t really on the radar and bring them in and be able to do it without giving up some of our better players.

With the limited budget this team seemingly has,  this is a great way to keep costs down in areas you would rather not spend in.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

One or two run lead in the 9th, right now who's your first choice to come in and close it out?

Bautista (1.35 WHIP) or Cano (0.17 WHIP)? 

Does it matter? If Bautista sucks in the 8th it doesn't get to Cano. Ultimately we need both guys. That said, I would match up Cano in the highest leverage situation, 8th or 9th. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you guys feel the only way we could have acquired Cano was in the Lopez trade?

I tend to doubt it. I tend to think there were a number of ways we could have acquired a reliever that hadn’t shown much in his career. 

Be great to have Cano, Lopez and Bautista in the back end of the pen right now, although obviously we wouldn’t have Povich and he is looking very good.

But anyway, not trying to make this about that Lopez trade but more of a thought about how Elias should try to find a way to get these relievers that aren’t really on the radar and bring them in.

With the limited budget this team seemingly has,  this is a great way to keep costs down in areas you would rather not spend in.

Isn't that exactly what he's been doing for several years?

• Cano in the Lopez deal
  • Baker on waivers
  • Coulombe on waivers
  • Perez on waivers
  • Sulser on waivers
  • Lopez on waivers
  • Voth on waivers
  • Lakins on waivers

Seems like getting some moderate to great relief years out of castoffs from other teams has been one constant in Elias' tenure.   Just seems odd that you suggest he should START doing this.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But anyway, not trying to make this about that Lopez trade but more of a thought about how I hope Elias can continue to try to find a way to get these relievers that aren’t really on the radar and bring them in and be able to do it without giving up some of our better players.

We could have traded guys who had more value than Lopez. Not sure why we would do that. We got a great return on that deal as is. Cano has four more years of control.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

We could have traded guys who had more value than Lopez. Not sure why we would do that. We got a great return on that deal as is. Cano has four more years of control.

I’m doubting we would have needed to trade someone more valuable than Lopez to get Cano.  You weren’t getting Povich for less valuable players but everyone else in that trade could be had for lesser pieces. Those types of deals happen quite often.