Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea.but the question is, could we have gotten Cano in another deal, kept Lopez for the end of 2022 and 2023 and then trade him for a similar package to what we got, whether that trade be this July or the offseason.

Personally, I believe that Lopez would have continued to pitch at a level that would have allowed us to obtain a similar package to the one we got, or better.

Who knows? I'm sure there was risk in going that route that maybe the FO didn't want to take on. The trade is a win right now, so I'm pretty comfortable just taking the W. And I think it's a win if Cano isn't even included, honestly. 

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

But, he didn't continue to pitch well.  He pitched poorly for the Twins after the trade.  I doubt we'd have gotten as much for him at the end of the season vs. what we actually got at the deadline.   What he's doing now is irrelevant.

Well, I wasn’t advocating for trading him this past offseason, so not sure why you even mention that.

That said, we don’t know if he would have pitched poorly in Baltimore like he did in Minnesota.  And iirc, it was really a few bad outings in Minnesota vs overall poor pitching.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Cano's now leading the O's in rWAR at 1.7.

He's been unscored on in 17.2 innings with a 1.11 FIP

Still no Walks given up and only 3 hits allowed.

Will be interesting to see if he's asked to close today if the score is tight. Might be a good idea to stay in his clearly suitable role and let Baker try closing: he pitched in the 9th inning 8x last season with a below-2 ERA.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea.but the question is, could we have gotten Cano in another deal, kept Lopez for the end of 2022 and 2023 and then trade him for a similar package to what we got, whether that trade be this July or the offseason.

Personally, I believe that Lopez would have continued to pitch at a level that would have allowed us to obtain a similar package to the one we got, or better.

I don't think you're wrong for thinking this, but even if you are 100% sold on his ability on the mound (and consequently his trade value) you do have to acknowledge the risk that he'll get injured.

I certainly think Elias' reasoning for making the trade was defensible as well, and the results have thus far been better than expected.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Will be interesting to see if he's asked to close today if the score is tight. Might be a idea to stay in his clearly suitable role and let Baker try closing: he pitched in the 9th inning 8x last season with a below-2 ERA.

I think if the situation calls for it Hyde will let Cano pitch an inning.  Playoff vibes in May. 

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't think you're wrong for thinking this, but even if you are 100% sold on his ability on the mound (and consequently his trade value) you do have to acknowledge the risk that he'll get injured.

I certainly think Elias' reasoning for making the trade was defensible as well, and the results have thus far been better than expected.

Agree with all of this.

I didn’t/don’t agree with the decision but do agree it’s defensible. 

But we also have to acknowledge that they could have done a lot of other things and ended up in a similar spot while subsequently keeping Lopez, at least in the short term.

46 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I think if the situation calls for it Hyde will let Cano pitch an inning.  Playoff vibes in May. 

I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I don't doubt that Cano would be gone to if necessary; I was just suggesting that it may not be as closer, as many people here are requesting. Hyde may decide it's best to keep Cano in the role he's been amazing in and let the 9th-inning-experienced Baker close instead, if the score is close enough to need a closer.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Agree with all of this.

I didn’t/don’t agree with the decision but do agree it’s defensible. 

But we also have to acknowledge that they could have done a lot of other things and ended up in a similar spot while subsequently keeping Lopez, at least in the short term.

From Minnesota's point of view, the whole point of the trade was to get Jorge. That was the guy they wanted for their playoff run. If you just want to get Cano and pay the bare minimum to get Cano, the question is whether we had anything else to offer that they would have been interested in. Trades in general don't happen unless there is a reason for them to happen on both sides. 

30 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I don't doubt that Cano would be gone to if necessary; I was just suggesting that it may not be as closer, as many people here are requesting. Hyde may decide it's best to keep Cano in the role he's been amazing in and let the 9th-inning-experienced Baker close instead, if the score is close enough to need a closer.

Cano's the only other reliever on the team with saves (2). It seems like the computer prefers Cano in a non Felix save situation.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

My God, can a reliever lead the league in WAR?

And he needs to close games from here on out.  He's way, way more efficient than Bautista.

The graph they showed in the gamecast was eye-popping.

He's basically pitched the same amount of innings this year (19) he has the same amount of Ks (21) but 16 less hits!  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

My God, can a reliever lead the league in WAR?

And he needs to close games from here on out.  He's way, way more efficient than Bautista.

Maybe Elias trades Bautista at the deadline like he did Lopez

(Ducks)

• Haha 1