Adley Rutschman BB/K Watch

Aristotelian

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Compared to what, the very short old wall or a normal stadium?

Well, they are playing in Oriole Park aren't they? Draw a line from the boundary where the wall cuts back at an angle from the bullpen to the corner that cuts back near the foul pole. The Left Fielder caught it beyond that boundary. You don't need illustrations to see that.

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Well, they are playing in Oriole Park aren't they? Draw a line from the boundary where the wall cuts back at an angle from the bullpen to the corner that cuts back near the foul pole. The Left Fielder caught it beyond that boundary. You don't need illustrations to see that.

My only point is that the old dimensions were extremely cozy compared to most ballparks.  I don’t feel like Adley is being ripped off when a ball is caught that wouldn’t have been a homer in 22 of 30 major league stadiums.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

AL BB Leaders

1. Adley 23

3. Gunnar 20

T-4. Mullins 19

This helps the offense go. 

Has a catcher ever lead the league in walks? I know that’ll cue @Frobbywith a statement about not getting caught up in something like that so early in the season, but it’s nice to dream on. 

I can’t believe someone who’s primarily played catcher over the course of a season has lead the league in walks but if they’re gonna keep DHing him on his “off days” and keep pinch hitting him on his “off days” then he might have a shot. 

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This helps the offense go. 

Has a catcher ever lead the league in walks? I know that’ll cue @Frobbywith a statement about not getting caught up in something like that so early in the season, but it’s nice to dream on. 

Given Adley’s track record, I don’t think it’s premature to ask that question.  I’ll have to think about the answer.   Bench and Piazza never did, though Bench once walked 100 times.

Now if you asked me if a shortstop had ever had a 1.000 OPS before, I’d have said that question was premature.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Given Adley’s track record, I don’t think it’s premature to ask that question.  I’ll have to think about the answer.   Bench and Piazza never did, though Bench once walked 100 times.

Now if you asked me if a shortstop had ever had a 1.000 OPS before, I’d have said that question was premature.  

20 year old pre-juicing A-Rod did in 96 with a 1.045.  That was the year he hit .358 with 36 homers and finished second to Juan Gonzalez in the MVP voting cause 144 RBI.

EDIT:  whoops, misunderstood what you wrote.

Edited by Moose Milligan

Frazier has same basic ratio to help BAL to MLB best entering today, though the 17 K and 0 BB will do some damage to that one.     Burn the tape.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=5,d

10 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Frazier has same basic ratio to help BAL to MLB best entering today, though the 17 K and 0 BB will do some damage to that one.     Burn the tape.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=5,d

#3 with the 17/0 on the books...  And I blacked out the board troublemaker, so we don't go on another tangent!

When will the umps start giving Adley the superstar treatment. All pitchers do his pitch around him. The umps know this, but yet they still consistently give pitchers borderline/one ball off the plate strikes. 

Adley never argues either. It’ll happen because he’s the nicest dude in baseball, but the guy deserves the superstar shoebox strike zone.