Orioles power rankings, 2023

Frobby

Frankly, I think the power rankings published by various sites are just click bait, since the only rankings that actually matter are the standings.   But, I’m no more immune to click bait than anyone else, so feel free to post such rankings here.

Fangraphs is out with their rankings today and puts the Orioles in “Tier 4 - Solid Contenders.”   Rare to hear that from Fangraphs!   Here’s their comment:

“The Orioles have gotten off to a strong start behind their young and athletic lineup. They’re running all over the opposition behind strong showings from Adley Rutschman and Ryan Mountcastle. Uber-prospect Gunnar Henderson has been slow to get his rookie campaign off the ground, but he is walking in nearly a quarter of his at-bats. With that kind of plate discipline, the hits will eventually follow. Baltimore finally called up Grayson Rodriguez, too. He’s gotten off to a decent start to his big league career, with his eight strikeouts against the White Sox yesterday a highlight.”

IF we get any kind of consistent starting pitching, I like our chances.  It's a big IF but not farfetched to think we can fashion a rotation of the 6 we have.   I like the way the bullpen seems to be coming together.   It's going to be interesting to see if Cano and Baumann can continue to look good, especially Cano, who looks like he's got top tier stuff.

Currently, the lineup has no holes.   I mean, sure, Santander and Henderson haven't totally broken out yet, but with Mateo hitting and Frazier continuing to have good AB's, there are no real holes in the lineup moving forward.

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

IF we get any kind of consistent starting pitching, I like our chances.  It's a big IF but not farfetched to think we can fashion a rotation of the 6 we have.   I like the way the bullpen seems to be coming together.   It's going to be interesting to see if Cano and Baumann can continue to look good, especially Cano, who looks like he's got top tier stuff.

Currently, the lineup has no holes.   I mean, sure, Santander and Henderson haven't totally broken out yet, but with Mateo hitting and Frazier continuing to have good AB's, there are no real holes in the lineup moving forward.

Re: your bullpen comment, I kiiiind of agree. But it's still pretty dicey in there.

Felix: awesome
Baker: good, hope he keeps it up
Baumann: great to see him have success, I'm fairly bullish
Coulombe: basically the guy holding this thing together

but then...

Perez: yikes
Akin: yikes
Voth: yikes
Gillaspie: meh, I don't think I'm a believer yet
Cano: waiting for the other shoe to drop

I feel like Givens is sorely needed and that's an iffy position to feel like Givens is a bullpen savior.

Edited by interloper

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Re: your bullpen comment, I kiiiind of agree. But it's still pretty dicey in there.

but then...

I feel like Givens is sorely needed and that's an iffy position to feel like Givens is a bullpen savior.

I'll go with meh on Akins and Gillaspie.   Akins was not good 2nd half last year and looks the same so far.    I think Voth just needs to get that curve back.  He can be good but I have more faith in him being good than Akins.   Even when Akins was good last year, his stuff just doesn't do anything for me.   That's a fair comment on Cano but his minor league numbers were good, he had a good ST, and two good appearances.   He was horrible in the majors last year with the Twins and the O's.   The stuff is in plain sight though.  95-97 fastball with movement.   A workable slider and a plus changeup.    Perez has been very hittable lately but the fastball is still upper 90's.   I'm not ready to give up on him being an integral part of the bullpen.   As you said, we still have Givens and possibly Tate to add to that mix.

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

but then...

I'm not ready to put Perez in the "yikes" category. His FIP is still at an excellent 2.67, with a plus fastball.  I think Voth will come back around.  He looked good yesterday. 

I was intrigued by the write-up of the Cubs (Tier 3 - On the Cusp of Greatness!) that said that old friend Trey Mancini was contributing on offense, but then I clicked through the link. He's "contributing" to the tune of a .516 OPS and a 37 wRC+. He's been worth -.6 WAR. Oof. The much-despised Eric Hosmer also got a shout-out, and he's not doing much better. I expected more from Fangraphs, honestly.

8 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I was intrigued by the write-up of the Cubs (Tier 3 - On the Cusp of Greatness!) that said that old friend Trey Mancini was contributing on offense, but then I clicked through the link. He's "contributing" to the tune of a .516 OPS and a 37 wRC+. He's been worth -.6 WAR. Oof. The much-despised Eric Hosmer also got a shout-out, and he's not doing much better. I expected more from Fangraphs, honestly.

It seems to me that they are under a constant talent drain.  They develop someone and they get hired away.

26 minutes ago, CaptDbog said:

I'm not ready to put Perez in the "yikes" category. His FIP is still at an excellent 2.67, with a plus fastball.  I think Voth will come back around.  He looked good yesterday. 

Yeah to clarify, Perez is a yikes right now for me, but I think he can find it again. Just isn't missing any bats, which seems to be a location issue. I certainly don't see him being in danger of losing his roster spot or anything. If he can figure it out, I feel, like, 100% better about the bullpen. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

but then...

When is Dillon Tate expected back?