Using only players in the organization…

Sports Guy

We really need a RH RF bat. Could that be Westburg?  I’m thinking it can be. There’s no reason that Vavra should be starting against LHP. Also, this brings up the point that Westburg is needed, maybe just to play for Gunnar against LHP. 

IMO, our bench needs to be tinkered with. Westburg needs to be playing OF and 3B/2B in AAA. 

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We really need a RH RF bat. Could that be Westburg?  I’m thinking it can be. There’s no reason that Vavra should be starting against LHP. Also, this brings up the point that Westburg is needed, maybe just to play for Gunnar against LHP. 

IMO, our bench needs to be tinkered with. Westburg needs to be playing OF and 3B/2B in AAA. 

Hays > Mayo  

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

So you're completely jettisoning Mountcastle? 

In the real world, no and not yet, but I think Westburg is a good fit there and wouldn’t be surprised if he could be a plus defensive 1B and match or exceed what Mountcastle gives you offensively.

On 4/25/2023 at 12:29 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree with your asessment about Westburg, but that's about all. Who would you suggest we play first base then? Mountcastle is the best we've got for the foreseeable future. I certainly wouldn't want to have to play O'hearn at 1B every day because his defense is terrible and our infeilders throw a lot of low short hop throws. Mountcastle always digs them out of the dirt.

I agree with your assessment about the way he takes his at bats though. If he's not going to be more patient and selective at the plate, then at some point it will be time to move on from him. But that would be a long ways away because they have no one in the organization that can do better. (Unless you want to give Lewin Diaz or John Lester an opportunity, but that is taking a very very very big risk.)

I'd be getting rid of Mountcastle at the trade deadline. I'd replace him with Kjerstad assuming Kjerstad has continued on his current trajectory. I believe Westburg could also easily play 1B, and would be both a superior hitter and fielder compared to Mountcastle. 

Kjerstad isn't anywhere near ready. He only started working out last year after his rare medical condition he had to recover from. He needs some time in AAA before he could be ready for the big leagues, and he's only been playing AA ball for 1 month so far in his entire career. Farther more, he's an outfielder. They have only begun to experiment with playing him at 1st base.

I'm more concerned with a replacement for McKenna. Who's the best right handed outfielder we have in the minor leagues? I look at the list of best prospects and they're all left handed. We need a right handed upgrade to fill that role on the team.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Kjerstad isn't anywhere near ready. He only started working out last year after his rare medical condition he had to recover from. He needs some time in AAA before he could be ready for the big leagues, and he's only been playing AA ball for 1 month so far in his entire career. Farther more, he's an outfielder. They have only begun to experiment with playing him at 1st base.

I'm more concerned with a replacement for McKenna. Who's the best right handed outfielder we have in the minor leagues? I look at the list of best prospects and they're all left handed. We need a right handed upgrade to fill that role on the team.

Haskin? 

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Haskin? 

Good call. I think you're right. He might be the best right hander in the minors right now. Although right after I had posted that, McKenna got a clutch double to score Frazier and start off the game winning rally.

Like Mel-Newman said, baseball is a game of ups and downs like a carousel.