TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Probably because the team is 16-8.   Don't mess with success.

We may see more of O'Hearn  vs righties because Mountcastle is not hitting them.

McKenna is the only backup in center.

Frazier because of 8m.  But he does not have to start.

Hyde likes Vavra versatility but he may be the first to go.

I agree with this, but 16-8 in our division is behind TB, tied with Toronto, and only a few above BOS and NYY. 

We need to make incremental improvements. 

Westburg for Vavra needs to happen. We have Johnson, Tate, and Givens that could all go on the 60 day IL. 

I like the point you raise about possibly playing O’Hearn over Mountcastle vs RHP. However, I think Cowser for O’Hearn makes sense with Hays banged up. We might just hold off on that because of the three LH SP we are about to face. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with this, but 16-8 in our division is behind TB, tied with Toronto, and only a few above BOS and NYY. 

Westburg for Vavra needs to happen. We have Johnson, Tate, and Givens that could all go on the 60 day IL. 

I like the point you raise about possibly playing O’Hearn over Mountcastle vs RHP. However, I think Cowser for O’Hearn makes sense with Hays banged up. We might just hold off on that because of the three LH SP we are about to face. 

I’m not saying that I disagree with your thought about replacing Varva. I think he’s a 26th man on a roster for a contending team OR a more regular player on a non-contender. To me, he’s just not that good/talented to get regular ABs on a contender especially when you have a very similar player who is better in Frazier.

But I’m curious (not that I disagree) what makes you advocate for Westburg over Ortiz? 

1 hour ago, AlbNYfan said:

You are all right. The O's being 8-16, it's time to blow it up and play for 2024.

What does this post have to do with this conversation? If you are not going to add to the conversation, perhaps lurk through it would be a good idea. Not one single person has said they want to "blow it up." They are looking for ways to improve the team with the major league ready talent in Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

With the bullpen rested pretty well we could actually consider going with a 7 man pen on a day to day basis until Hays is back.  That would be Raysian. 

Option Vavra for Cowser. Option Akin for Westburg. 60 day IL Tate and Givens. Have Zimmerman, and Irvin, be on the taxi squad for the road trip. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ortiz hasn’t had that long an apprenticeship, either in terms of years or games.  He was drafted in June 2019. He didn’t play in 2020 due to COVID.  He only played 35 games in 2021 due to injury.  He’s been moved along pretty rapidly under the circumstances, but only has 42 AAA games under his belt.  So, I’m not really feeling that bad for Ortiz.  He’ll get his shot.  

Fair. Just want to make clear I'm not criticizing the O's for what they've already done. It's more so that this is going to be a recurrent issue going forward, and I hope the organization's plan doesn't involve pretending like guys need more development or disregarding the players' interests. Step in the right direction today by elevating Joey.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because he's worried about his farm system ranking?

Because he's a hoarder?

Because a guy in AAA can't have flaws exposed by ML opposition?

It's interesting how you put all of your beliefs in question form.

3 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

You are all right. The O's being 8-16, it's time to blow it up and play for 2024.

Let me guess..you were perfectly fine with the team doing very little after 2014? Or this offseason?

Just because things are going well doesn’t mean you can’t improve and doesn’t mean you won’t have issues long term.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I will be very surprised if any team plays .667 ball for the season.  Just play good baseball and the rest will take care of itself.  

On 4/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, Sports Guy said:

I think the 8M guaranteed 400+ at bats if he is healthy and not traded.

Doesnt mean he starts as much as he is now but he will still be taking at bats away from players he shouldn’t.

But what about the all-important “clubhouse culture” he brings to this team with his veteran presence???

20 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

It was almost assuredly imposed by the awful ownership of the team. What GM would say, "nope, don't want any of the good players. Give me the mediocre, ones?"

Why would Angelos "impose" Adam Frazier on Elias.  I doubt Angelos even knew who Adam Frazier is or was.  If he gave Elias a budget and said stay within this amount (something virtually every business owner does), then it was Elias who made the decision not ownership.  Why Frazier?  I'm sure Elias had a reason, but I could only guess while admitting that I wouldn't have done it.