Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Looked comfortable at the plate.

1st AB was a relatively well-struck ball in the gap that Badoo made a nice play on.  Somewhere between a looper and a line drive :)

2nd AB was a base hit - a little luck there, hit a bouncer in front of the plate that took a big hop right over the 1B head.

3rd AB was the sac fly, good AB there, fouled off some tough pitches.

4th time up I think was just a little squibber in front of the plate, can't really remember.

All in all he looked comfortable at the plate.  Wouldn't say he hit anything particularly hard but had some tough ABs and hung in there.

Nothing really significant in the field that I saw.  I think in the 1st he made a nice stop off of a deflection to keep a runner from advancing.  

Thank you! I really wish MASN would get into 2new century so I could watch games again.

48 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

1st AB was a relatively well-struck ball in the gap that Badoo made a nice play on.  Somewhere between a looper and a line drive :)

2nd AB was a base hit - a little luck there, hit a bouncer in front of the plate that took a big hop right over the 1B head.

4th time up I think was just a little squibber in front of the plate, can't really remember.

All in all he looked comfortable at the plate.  Wouldn't say he hit anything particularly hard but had some tough ABs and hung in there.

Nothing really significant in the field that I saw.  I think in the 1st he made a nice stop off of a deflection to keep a runner from advancing.  

If I recall, he did throw the ball away on a potential double play turn, only Haase was safe at second (not his fault). Fortunately Haase was confused, starting jogging to the dugout thinking he was out, and nearly got thrown out going back to second. Nobody ended up advancing on the throw, otherwise probably would have been an error on Ortiz. Then again had the throw been on target it would have been a nice turn.

50 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

He also started a nice DP with backhand flip to Mateo in the early going that he said later helped him feel like he was ok and let him relax.

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

He also started a nice DP with backhand flip to Mateo in the early going that he said later helped him feel like he was ok and let him relax.

This was a nice little play. And then the trickery later showed that he's comfortable and his head's in the game. To me Ortiz is exactly what you want from a utility IF. He might be more than that, but if not, he's still going to bring a good amount of value.

I like that he made contact in all of his ABs too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I didn't get to watch last night, but found this today. Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it.  This is pretty heads up trickeration for a kid in his first MLB game.

I doubt that will fly with other players. 

23 hours ago, NCRaven said:

For me, both Frazier and Urias.  Urias won a good glove for 90 games at 3B.  It's almost like Raffy winning at 1B when he played most of the season at DH. 

It is not even remotely like that.  Urias led the league in almost every cumulative advanced defensive metric at 3B last year despite playing only 98 games there.  +13 Rdrs, +14 Rtot, +11.3 UZR, +7 OAA.   And, he’s absolutely not a household name or a leading hitter, so it’s not like he got voted in on reputation.  He absolutely earned his Gold Glove. 

Raffy, on the other hand, played all of 28 games at 1B the year he won his last Gold Glove.  That was a farce.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

For the meta-competition, I do worry some the Urias Gold Glove irked Matt Chapman.    But I also like that Chapman is pushing playing his way out of Toronto's retention range.     The Vlad-Bichette-Manoah Arb show a preview of what we'll have a couple years behind them.

Its early, but if you sort 2023 3B OAA by the rate stat Success Rate Added, both Urias and Gunnar are in the worst 3 out of 38 third baseman year to date.    I continue to believe there is a tax to all this moving around, even while recognizing the tradeoffs give some advantages.

Elias/Hyde are somewhat Ted Lasso having the guys switch to Total Football midway in the 3rd season.

I do hope Joey Ortiz promotion season is a game changer for the 2023 Orioles defense.     Probably a bigger bump than the eventual Cowser-Santander glove upgrade.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Joey should be starting SS more often than Mateo at this point. Defense is a wash. Mateo has brought nothing with the bat the entire month. Mateo should be a PR and defense replacement for Frazier or something.