Jud Fabian 2023

Frobby

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

But is he a bit rangier than Hays was?

I saw Jud in high school and college a lot. I saw Austin a few times in college, both at Seminole and Jacksonville. Jud is a much better CF prospect, by far. Jud is a smoother athlete, makes things look easier. He tracks the ball better, better routes, gets very good jumps. Hays’ arm is superior, and I think Hays was more of a grinder than Jud. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

All in all, I think Elias and team had a very solid draft in 2022 with the acquisitions of Holliday, Fabian, Beavers, and Wagner.

I think both Judd Fabian and Dylan Beavers will rise through the organization just like Jackson Holiday.

2022 is probably my favorite Orioles draft under the Elias/Sig front office.

Holliday was not the slam dunk 1:1, but they had the conviction to do it and were right. And then they got three guys in Beavers, Fabian, and Wagner who are arguably top-25 picks.

Beavers was regarded that way in this draft. Fabian was that guy in the 2021 draft, and then he went back to college and did even better the next year. And Wagner would have been that if he had gone back to Clemson the next year and done anything remotely resembling his 2022 season.

The fixation on college bats has frustrated me at times, but stacking those three in addition to Holliday was masterful.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

2022 is probably my favorite Orioles draft under the Elias/Sig front office.

Holliday was not the slam dunk 1:1, but they had the conviction to do it and were right. And then they got three guys in Beavers, Fabian, and Wagner who are arguably top-25 picks.

Beavers was regarded that way in this draft. Fabian was that guy in the 2021 draft, and then he went back to college and did even better the next year. And Wagner would have been that if he had gone back to Clemson the next year and done anything remotely resembling his 2022 season.

The fixation on college bats has frustrated me at times, but stacking those three in addition to Holliday was masterful.

I wonder when the Beavers/Fabian/Wagner get the bump to Bowie? It would be a big shot in the arm to see them excel like the Norby/Cowser group.

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

All in all, I think Elias and team had a very solid draft in 2022 with the acquisitions of Holliday, Fabian, Beavers, and Wagner.

I think both Judd Fabian and Dylan Beavers will rise through the organization just like Jackson Holiday.

Beavers is going to need to play a lot better than he is to get in that kind of conversation. 

5 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I wonder when the Beavers/Fabian/Wagner get the bump to Bowie? It would be a big shot in the arm to see them excel like the Norby/Cowser group.

Agreed that the triplets' development will go a long way in keeping the system afloat while we wait for the international kids to come up and adjust to life picking in the middle of the rounds rather than at the top.

Jud would go up with Jackson if it was up to me. Fabian's OPS (.835) is higher than both Wagner's (.734) and Beavers' (.663). Fabian is also a year older than the other two and really should have been in our system a year earlier if not for Pink Hat Nation randomly taking him. And he spent several years doing well against SEC pitching, so I think AA is where his mettle needs to be tested.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:56 PM, Jammer7 said:

I saw Jud in high school and college a lot. I saw Austin a few times in college, both at Seminole and Jacksonville. Jud is a much better CF prospect, by far. Jud is a smoother athlete, makes things look easier. He tracks the ball better, better routes, gets very good jumps. Hays’ arm is superior, and I think Hays was more of a grinder than Jud. 

What makes Hays more of a grinder than Jud?  I'm still unclear on the grinder/gamer tool. 

I just noticed that Fabian throws lefty...  But hits righty.  

Beavers is the only LHB out of that trio.  IIRC, Aberdeen's batting eye is tougher on lefties than righties.  Cowser was promoted when his slash lines were underwhelming, then he went off in AA.  So maybe the trio will be kept together despite differing slash lines.  

I think O’s fans have gotten spoiled over the last 2 years with the almost universal success of their top prospects as they’ve progressed through the minors, and the speed with which players hot promoted.  I think going forward (1) our prospects won’t always be as universally successful), and (2) the fact that we have a fuller pipeline is going to slow the rate of promotions.   Throw in the fact that the lost Covid year had put a lot of players a year behind where they otherwise “should” have been, so there was some incentive to rush players along, but that’s less of a factor now.   So, there’s no reason a guy like Beavers has to be pushed along if he’s struggling a bit.  They can even be patient with a guy like Fabian.

• Upvote 4

Elias has done a brilliant drafting since he has been here but I think Fabian stands a chance to be his best pick.

By that, I don’t mean best player but this is a guy that a lot of us weren’t happy with when they drafted him. The BA and K numbers in college were awful and not a sign of long term success.

Elias obviously saw things that were wrong and, as was pointed out, the Florida program definitely has its issues.

Real kudos to Elias (and his team) on this one. Fabian is up to an 880 OPS and likely will be in AA soon. Whether he ends up making it or not, he has clearly shown that he was worthy of the selection and that Elias clearly saw something that wasn’t showing up at Florida. Just an incredible job by him And his team.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias has done a brilliant drafting since he has been here but I think Fabian stands a chance to be his best pick.

By that, I don’t mean best player but this is a guy that a lot of us weren’t happy with when they drafted him. The BA and K numbers in college were awful and not a sign of long term success.

Elias obviously saw things that were wrong and, as was pointed out, the Florida program definitely has its issues.

Real kudos to Elias (and his team) on this one. Fabian is up to an 880 OPS and likely will be in AA soon. Whether he ends up making it or not, he has clearly shown that he was worthy of the selection and that Elias clearly saw something that wasn’t showing up at Florida. Just an incredible job by him And his team.

When a guy has a pronounced weakness against a pitch that 85%+ of pitchers throw and 100% can throw it's fair to question using draft capital on him.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

When a guy has a pronounced weakness against a pitch that 85%+ of pitchers throw and 100% can throw it's fair to question using draft capital on him.

Sure. I don’t regret questioning the pick.

Just a kudos to Elias and his team seeing through that. They deserve credit for that.

It’s also great knowing that Fabian trusted this staff to get the best out of him.  He talked about that when he got drafted.

I think some of what Elias is confident in is his team's ability to coach up a toolsy player to a certain hitting floor quality.

I still anchor on his Jordan Westburg draft pick characterization of "tooled up" college player.    Westburg's K/BB wasn't that great in NCAA, but they've brought him along great so far.

Beavers, Fabian seem somewhat in that same mold.    Whatever the reason, Elias has been slow to get Westburg to the show where the best at attacking weaknesses live.

• Upvote 1