Jud Fabian 2023

Frobby

On 6/22/2023 at 1:33 PM, btdart20 said:

People get stuff wrong all the time.  Especially with prospects.  Longenhagen is still good at what he does.  Tony pointed to LHP struggles as a ding against Cowser with a potential strong-side platoon ceiling.  That was fair last year.  Cowser has answered those concerns as much as he can this year.

Players make adjustments and clearly Cowser did. Obviously when you see as much platoon splits and swing and miss, it does become something to watch. Now, I still had Cowser as a top 10 prospect even though I dropped after last season (mostly because of others had good years), so I still thought he could become an everyday guy, and clearly after watching him this year, he's improved in both areas. 

Evaluators and analysts are not always going to get it right with players. If it was a perfect science it would be easy to do. 

13 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Also stole his first AA bag. They ran him a ton in Aberdeen; 19/25 in 56 games. As a point of reference, Holliday was 15/20 in 46 games.

He's got good speed overall, but I don't think stealing bases will be a big part of his game at the major league league level.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Players make adjustments and clearly Cowser did. Obviously when you see as much platoon splits and swing and miss, it does become something to watch. Now, I still had Cowser as a top 10 prospect even though I dropped after last season (mostly because of others had good years), so I still thought he could become an everyday guy, and clearly after watching him this year, he's improved in both areas. 

Evaluators and analysts are not always going to get it right with players. If it was a perfect science it would be easy to do. 

Agreed all around.  Cowser certainly had questions to answer coming into this season. He’s done a good job answering them.

I appreciate your eye and experience.

It is a little bit of a cheat because Fabian has about 1/6th of these 2022-2023 plate appearances at very easy levels for a guy who took an extra year of college, player's choice, but wRC+ sees him 3rd to just Holliday/Gunnar among BAL Farm Bats last year + this year.     

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32,33&stats=bat&qual=300&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2023&org=2&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=19,1

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Say O! said:

Getting a bit ahead here but starting to look like future OF consisting of Cowser, Fabian, and (pick one) HK/Mayo/Norby.  Timetable dependent on how fast move on from Hays/Mullins/Santander. 

I could very much see Norby and Fabian and guys like Prieto being tradebait, so we'll see what happens, but at some point they've gotta move some of this for pitching. Obviously Cowser is just waiting for the phone to ring and Kjerstad isn't that far behind him, and Mayo has premium 80 grade tools, so I doubt he's going anywhere. 

20 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I could very much see Norby and Fabian and guys like Prieto being tradebait, so we'll see what happens, but at some point they've gotta move some of this for pitching. Obviously Cowser is just waiting for the phone to ring and Kjerstad isn't that far behind him, and Mayo has premium 80 grade tools, so I doubt he's going anywhere. 

We're definitely going to have to trade some of our hitting prospects in the next year or so, but I doubt Fabian is someone Elias will want to trade.  He's pretty much the only true CF prospect we have right now.  (I'm not sold on Cowser being able to play a good CF at the major league level)

• Upvote 1