AL team to watch: White Sox

Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I do not disagree with anything here other than the idea that the process should have already started.

I think everyone agrees we missed an opportunity to be better set up over the winter.  But the process is actually occurring before our eyes.  It just doesn't move at the pace that we always want.  

Decisions are coming and a roster crunch of players is going to eventually make it impossible to keep every one.   But everyone doesn't just mean the kids in AAA.  It means, Hays, Santander, Urias, Frazier etc.  Obviously, McKenna, O'Hearn and Vavra are not long term guys.  But I am happy we didn't give the SS job to Ortiz to start the year.

Decisions are coming, but the options are plentiful and that is good.

I'm not saying that Hays and Urias shouldn't go in a trade. However, I don't know how much value they would bring. But there is nothing from their performances this year that says that should be lumped in with that other group. They both have done well this year and we shouldn't be looking to replace them. No prospect is going to come up and give you, the kind of quality that we have gotten thus far from Hays this season. He's been one of our best players.

7 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

There are players the Orioles will have to start making decisions on soon or lose them to rule 5. Elias is smart and knows that. Some of the one year guys will also fall off the 40 man as well. We have to be patient as a fan base. The orioles do not need to shop in the bargain outlet unless it is Eduardo Rodriguez. Besides that I want, Cease, Alcantara, Lezurdo, Burnes, Bieber

I agree with you in that I want and think we need one of those guys to increase our chances of greater post season success. However as things stand now, you can probably cross a few names off your list. Burnes and Bieber are most likely not going to be available as their teams are in it. And some have told me that MIA doesn't want to move Alcantara.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right.,we agree they messed up in the offseason..ie when this process should have started.

Well...we agree that they should have signed a #1 or #2 SP.  I don't have any grievance that they should have traded anybody per se.  It's coming.

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well...we agree that they should have signed a #1 or #2 SP.  I don't have any grievance that they should have traded anybody per se.  It's coming.

There were no #1 or #2 starters to sign unless you think they had a chance at Verlander (they didn’t) or if you wanted them to foolishly go after Rodon or DeGrom.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I believe that team with all those young player editions would eventually have the best offense in baseball. But would take a while to get there. The problem is that this year's team is ready to win now ADN we only have Adley for 4 more years. Plus, with all of that great offense, I'm not sure that we could win with this subpar pitching staff/organizational pitching talent.

Grayson is the best that we have and there is NO ONE coming who is even close to him. Or for that matter even in his tier as a prospect. We gotta find better pitching from somewhere or the great offense won't matter in the end.

John Means has looked pretty close to a TOR starter in the past.  Naturally the O's want to see if he can step in to his old self when figuring out trade possibilities.  Not that having both a healthy Means and someone like Dylan Cease would be a problem, but Means' level of effectiveness when he returns could influence whether the O's try to trade mid-season for a long term solution or more of rental (or somewhere in between).

3 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

John Means has looked pretty close to a TOR starter in the past.  Naturally the O's want to see if he can step in to his old self when figuring out trade possibilities.  Not that having both a healthy Means and someone like Dylan Cease would be a problem, but Means' level of effectiveness when he returns could influence whether the O's try to trade mid-season for a long term solution or more of rental (or somewhere in between).

One should have nothing to do with the other. Means should be viewed as a bonus, not a necessity or something that we are going to have to depend on in order to win in the Fall.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There were no #1 or #2 starters to sign unless you think they had a chance at Verlander (they didn’t) or if you wanted them to foolishly go after Rodon or DeGrom.

Right, and I think we were simply outbid for Lopez.  We don't really know what we offered, but I dont care so much about the deals they didn't do....and I thought the Irvin deal was a good move but didn't answer the top need.

At some point though, moves/deals will go down.  Elias hasn't proven he can do this, but he sure has plenty of money and talent to work from.  In general, I'm ok with what has been done, but the work obviously has to continue and the search for a TOR won't get easier, but as the talent improves...it could likely become more pressing.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I must say, it’s hard for me to recall a deal that involved more than two top-100 prospects.   I guess the Juan Soto deal sort of did, if you count Gore, who had lost prospect status but had been very highly ranked at one time.  

Unless it's now more true that elite bats -- young or old -- are more plentiful/available in a trade than elite arms.  If so then, all things more or less equal in terms of age and talent, an elite pitcher could cost more than Soto.  Seems more true when people here are having a hard time of thinking of anyone other than Cease as available -- except for veteran rental types.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I must say, it’s hard for me to recall a deal that involved more than two top-100 prospects.   I guess the Juan Soto deal sort of did, if you count Gore, who had lost prospect status but had been very highly ranked at one time.  

Unless it's now more true that elite bats -- young or old -- are more plentiful/available in a trade than elite arms.  If so then, all things more or less equal in terms of age and talent, an elite pitcher could cost more than Soto.  Seems more true when people here are having a hard time of thinking of anyone other than Cease as available -- except for veteran rental types.

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

One should have nothing to do with the other. Means should be viewed as a bonus, not a necessity or something that we are going to have to depend on in order to win in the Fall.

Yeah I pretty much agree with you, but you have to be realistic when you consider who owns this team.  Still, a trade for Cease or someone like him could fall through for reasons outside of the Orioles' control, which could push them to go for a rental type instead.  Maybe even more important, if the O's are still playing this well a month or two from now and the young starters have improved, then there will be less urgency to add any starter right now, other than Means.  But I agree with you they should work to acquire one in any case before the season ends, preferably someone longer term. 

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why would Miami be looking to move any of their starter right now?

Not now, but at the deadline. They no better than 4th place in the NL East and no better than 7th in the NL and that assumes that they could beat out one of the Pirates or Brewers. Because their is no way that they are finishing above PHIL, NY Mets, ATL, LAD, or the Padres.

Thought exercise in Public Relations....is acquiring Aroldis Chapman and Liam Hendriks the same week a good week or a bad week?

The 2020 Rays Game 5 win over the Yankees is the ugly beautiful example of what the pitching maths have made the game.    Tyler Glasnow is one of the few pitching humans this planet almost as good as Gerrit Cole, and rated 25% of the job.    Diego Castillo has used up his talent like Earl Campbell, and now he's pitching AAA for the Mariners, but he came danged close to being a Top 5 pitcher on a champion.    Are we tendering Felix Bautista Arb2?

It was ha ha hilarious when the 2021 Rays went reliever heavy for their Red Sox series, and one 13-inning game at Fenway approximately left them without enough pitching to compete.    Oops for that team with the best record in the league.