2026 Orioles

Yossarian

17 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Yes. Unless MLB figures out a way to add five new positions on a diamond I don't see how we keep everybody. 

Edit: in this scenario I'd have Ortiz on the team as a utility infielder, and Fabian or Haskin as my 4th outfielder. 

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'm more of a '27 Orioles dreamer.    That year has a certain in-century cache for trying to run up the ELO curve as far as a baseball team can.

I do believe Holliday mostly sets things up for the team to be a year better each time throughout the remainder of Adley's years here.

There's a fair chance Adley's prime is right now, but all the ferocious ones in his orbit are just cutting their teeth, if even that.

‘27 O’s against the ‘27 Yanks for a battle of the centuries!

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

You are correct about the Rays - they do have Wander Franco on an 11-year deal (we'll see if they hold on to him that long). They do have two others under contract pay 2025 -  Jeffrey Springs and Pete Fairbanks.

They have also extended Yandy Diaz (through 26), signed B. Lowe to a 6 year extension in 2019, extended Margot and Glasnow on 2 year deals, and signed Elfin to a 3 year deal in free agency. They have also done numerous extensions in the past, including Snell, Kiermaier, and Longoria. The idea that the Rays never retain their players beyond team control is a complete and often repeated fallacy. They might trade them after extending them, but they don’t tend to just keep their players 4-5 years then trade them before FA.

1 minute ago, Sydnor said:

They have also extended Yandy Diaz (through 26), signed B. Lowe to a 6 year extension in 2019, extended Margot and Glasnow on 2 year deals, and signed Elfin to a 3 year deal in free agency. They have also done numerous extensions in the past, including Snell, Kiermaier, and Longoria. The idea that the Rays never retain their players beyond team control is a complete and often repeated fallacy. They might trade them after extending them, but they don’t tend to just keep their players 4-5 years then trade them before FA.

I'm not sure how many of those contacts were played all the way out in Tampa?  Do they sign these long- term contacts to make players more tradeable with longer team control?

4 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I'm not sure how many of those contacts were played all the way out in Tampa?  Do they sign these long- term contacts to make players more tradeable with longer team control?

I did say they might trade them after extending them, and they often do. They traded Longoria and Snell (among others, but they didn’t trade Keiermaier likely because he had no value). If we don’t start extending players, we will be in a situation where we are trading Adley 2 years from now to get max value. Tampa doesn’t typically do that, they get valuable players signed to extensions when possible.

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

Since nobody has touched on it the far more interesting question is what does the rotation look like, and the pitching staff in gneral.

G-Rod

Povich

Seth  J-O-H-N-S-O-N

Wells

Bradish

DL Hall is the shut-down closer. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe
because I'm old

12 hours ago, Yossarian said:

This assumes guys like Norby, Wagner. Willem, Lester don't make the bigs (at least for the Orioles) and Stowers and Ortiz are dealt?

Who is Lester? Josh Lester? If so he has no business on the 2023 Orioles let alone the 2026 Orioles. 

Edited by Matt Bennett
replaced 2027 with 2026 to match the OP

13 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Sometimes they trade them.  

Longoria actually signed two long term deals with Tampa.  The first, in 2008, potentially extended through 2016 if Tampa exercised its options.  The second, signed after the 2012 season, was through 2022 with an option for 2023.  He was traded after the 2017 season, having played 10 years for the Rays.  

Kiermaier signed a 6 year extension that ran 2017-22, when he had 3 years under his belt.  He played out his entire contract and became a free agent after 9 years with the Rays.  

Snell signed a five-year extension after 2018 that runs through this season.  He was traded after the 2020 season, only two years into his deal and after four full years with the team.  

So, it’s a mixed bag.  Both Longoria and Kiermaier played a long time for Tampa Bay, years beyond when they would have been eligible for free agency, even though Longoria eventually was traded after a decade with the club.  Snell was traded before he ever could have been a free agent, despite the fact that Tampa had extended him.  In any event, the Rays are not shy about locking up young players to long term deals if they believe in them.  

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Since nobody has touched on it the far more interesting question is what does the rotation look like, and the pitching staff in gneral.

I think the lineup question is by far more interesting, because there are so many players in the mix it will be interesting to see who they let go of and who they hold on to.  I thought we'd see some of those answers this past offseason, but they kicked the can down the road a little more.

The only pitcher I have any real confidence in in being here in 2026 is Grayson, if he stays healthy.  Pitching is just too un-knowable to be interesting to me.

16 hours ago, Yossarian said:

You're thinking the O's fully adopt the Rays model of no long- term, legacy players and full roster turnover every three years, or so?

The Rays extended Wander Franco for 10 years.  That should show the O's ownership to extend Rutschman. If they don't extend their franchise players, their window of opportunity will close soon.