I was worried about our starting rotation

Baltimorecuse

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Wells ran out of gas coming out of the break and was sent down to recalibrate working out of the pen. When he returns, he probably slots into the high leverage role that was Cano's prior to the Felix injury. Depending on the situation, Wells probably gets some save opportunities.

It was the right move. He was struggling before they sent him to Bowie (prior to him being at Norfolk now). 

Not pitching for 10 days because of the break,  messed Wells up. 

They messed his rotation up. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Gibson has to improve the last month or he’s at risk of being left off the playoff roster with Wells and Means lurking. 

I posted earlier that I’d give Gibson’s next start to Means but I think it’s more likely that if they pull someone from the rotation for Means, it’ll be Irvin, which I think is a mistake. Irvin has been pretty good since June. I think they’ll play some musical chairs with the starters. I just hope that it doesn’t mess with their routines, which I speculate we have already seen with at least Flaherty. 

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Not pitching for 10 days because of the break,  messed Wells up. 

They messed his rotation up. 

That’s possible but the reality is what’s done is done. They’ve already been pitching him out of the pen in Norfolk and baring injuries to other guys I don’t expect him to pitch more than an inning or two in a game for the remainder of the season. I suppose they could use him as an opener but I doubt Wells will throw more than one or two innings even then. 

Norfolk preview tonight lists Armbruester probable, so BAL may be deviating from so far this month John Means pitching on day numbers divisible by 5.     He'd been August 10-15-20-25 before perhaps not tonight.

Entering today, Gibson's 163 hits yielded were league leading, but the 86 ER were far outpaced by Jordan Lyles' 103 ER.

Lyles has only let up 146 hits, so wow must Bats be slugging against him.

Nothing that Kyle Gibson does or doesn't do from here can change the valuable contribution he's made to this year's success.     The finish line is close enough now if they keep using him its on the organization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Norfolk preview tonight lists Armbruester probable, so BAL may be deviating from so far this month John Means pitching on day numbers divisible by 5.     He'd been August 10-15-20-25 before perhaps not tonight.

Entering today, Gibson's 163 hits yielded were league leading, but the 86 ER were far outpaced by Jordan Lyles' 103 ER.

Nothing that Kyle Gibson does or doesn't do from here can change the valuable contribution he's made to this year's success.     The finish line is close enough now if they keep using him its on the organization.

Means is pitching tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

I posted earlier that I’d give Gibson’s next start to Means but I think it’s more likely that if they pull someone from the rotation for Means, it’ll be Irvin, which I think is a mistake. Irvin has been pretty good since June. I think they’ll play some musical chairs with the starters. I just hope that it doesn’t mess with their routines, which I speculate we have already seen with at least Flaherty. 

Irvin has been decent since June with 3.35 ERA and 1.196 WHIP in 51 innings pitched. He might make for a good option in the playoffs if any of the starters get pulled early. 

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Agreed, but now it's about contributions the remainder of the season

5 hours ago, banks703 said:

Wells ran out of gas coming out of the break and was sent down to recalibrate working out of the pen. When he returns, he probably slots into the high leverage role that was Cano's prior to the Felix injury. Depending on the situation, Wells probably gets some save opportunities.

It was the right move. He was struggling before they sent him to Bowie (prior to him being at Norfolk now). 

perfect spot for a guy who gives up a ton of homers

14 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

He was surrendering those homers as a starter. I expect his velo and spin rate to tick up by being able to work shorter outings. He was really good out of the pen before they transitioned him to a starter. Unless he shows otherwise, I expect him to be good again in a relief role. 

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

I don’t understand this obsession some people have with giving up homers.  If a reliever comes in and walks two guys, then allows a run scoring single, does that make you feel better than if the reliever comes in and allows a solo homer?

If Wells returns as basically the guy we saw in the first half of 2023 — low ERA, super-low WHIP, pretty high HR rate — I’ll gladly put that guy in the back part of my bullpen.  He just can’t be the version of Wells we saw immediately after the all-star break.