I was worried about our starting rotation

Baltimorecuse

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m sure it will sort itself out over the next month. There’s bound to be an injury or ineffectiveness if Irvin keeps pitching well. At some point Grayson will have to dial his innings back or not be available for the postseason. 

I agree its interesting they've pitched him 80-100 a lot, even on his messy nights, and opted for him on the shorter rest coming off the doubleheader.

He's at 636 pitches through 7 turns, 52% of last year's 1207 already.    Its a known known Verducci Rule is hokum and I am certain the acute/chronic wear and tear monitoring is more granular.     He's a science experiment you get one iteration of.      2012 Strasburg the Nationals choice was not to play games with hot-cold-hot even though they were a playoff team - his year ended September 7th.

The off days over the next 20-30 calendar days do come like clockwork after each chunk of 9-10 games so the 3 games in 11 days scenario won't occur again soon.

28 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m sure it will sort itself out over the next month. There’s bound to be an injury or ineffectiveness if Irvin keeps pitching well. At some point Grayson will have to dial his innings back or not be available for the postseason. 

It’s hard to imagine a scenario that Rodriguez is able to play into September and beyond. They’re going to need to cut his innings per start real low by mid-season. I think a better approach might me to put him in the bullpen once Means returns and let him finish the year there. That’s assuming no significant injuries to anyone of course…which is unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

It’s hard to imagine a scenario that Rodriguez is able to play into September and beyond. They’re going to need to cut his innings per start real low by mid-season. I think a better approach might me to put him in the bullpen once Means returns and let him finish the year there. That’s assuming no significant injuries to anyone of course…which is unlikely. 

Here is a scenario.

“We don’t want to get in a situation where we’re just shutting down one of our best pitchers in the middle of August because he ran out of innings,” Elias said. “There’s no real science behind that, either. There’s nothing that’s ever proven that throwing more innings leads to injury. This is just kind of baseball people trying to use common sense, and I think that we’re gonna bring our brains to workload management for our pitching staff this year, and hopefully, we get those guys out there pitching as much as possible.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-rotation-innings-limits-elias-means-rodriguez-hall-wells-20230123-6kxqhyswjbg6xcx3fttx2wfpgy-story.html

Now when the rubber hits the road will he bow to "common sense"?

45 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I agree its interesting they've pitched him 80-100 a lot, even on his messy nights, and opted for him on the shorter rest coming off the doubleheader.

He's at 636 pitches through 7 turns, 52% of last year's 1207 already.    Its a known known Verducci Rule is hokum and I am certain the acute/chronic wear and tear monitoring is more granular.     He's a science experiment you get one iteration of.      2012 Strasburg the Nationals choice was not to play games with hot-cold-hot even though they were a playoff team - his year ended September 7th.

The off days over the next 20-30 calendar days do come like clockwork after each chunk of 9-10 games so the 3 games in 11 days scenario won't occur again soon.

I think the league and the Orioles are finally getting away from a # of pitches or a # of innings.  I’m fairly confident they are looking at their workload over the last 2 months, the last 2 weeks, the last few days, and how the P looks in his outing.   It’s counter-intuitive but a long break of a week or 2 weeks off is actually worse than continuing with your regular training.  What we don’t see and know is how they are feeling when they aren’t pitching & what that workload looks like and how that plays in to their availability on game day. They may have a super hard recovery week & not be prepped for a long outing and we have no idea.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting! I’ve never read that quote from him before and while it’s encouraging, it’s a little perplexing because Elias seems very risk adverse. I’m not saying Rodriguez can’t throw 160 innings or so, he hasn’t thrown more than 103 in a season in his career and only like 75 or something last year. Ultimately, we’ll have to see how he does throughout the year. It’s not like his 5 ERA would be a detrimental loss at any point but he has the potential to be much better than that too.

Our starting rotation is really starting to come together but I feel in order to advance in the playoffs, we will need to trade for a top notch front line pitcher before the tradeline. I loved to get a vet who has some playoff experience. Just my 2 cents. 

41 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm still worried about our pitching rotation.  Thank God for Wells.  Where would we be w/o this bullpen savant in the rotation. 

I feel pretty good about taking the next three from the Angels.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure I would push GRod much beyond 150 innings but I don’t see why he can’t pitch that much.

Huh?  What did you just say?  Makes no sense. Maybe English is not your first language 

Edited by Chelsea_Phil
  • Confused 2

On 5/12/2023 at 7:34 AM, waroriole said:

Grayson had better get straightened out or he won't make the postseason along with the O's.