I'd rather see Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser and Stowers than Urias, Mateo, Frazier, and Vavra

DocJJ

15 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Not that Urias, Mateo, Frazier, or Vavra are all really that bad...  and we don't know if the aforementioned guys would end up being any better....   but I'd be in favor of it...

I'd rather see Robinson, Belanger, Johnson and Powell

But they're not available either.

• Haha 1

Pick pretty much any season within the past few decades save a few and this would have been my view. Screw the win-loss record and give the young guys a proper tryout. But it's not so simple anymore.

When the O's had no real shot at the postseason, it was worth sacrificing wins. But that's not where we're at anymore. Even if this team isn't going to win a pennant, they very plausibly could get into the playoffs. And it behooves them to practice the art of winning now so that it's not a novelty when their window really opens.

The veterans arguably help win now. If any of them fall off of a cliff like Odor did last year, they should be replaced with swiftness. And I think you can shop them other than Cedric, which would open up spots.

But for the rest of this year, you're probably looking at a carousel of young guys rotating between Norfolk and Baltimore until/unless one of the young guys plays so well that they can't be benched or sent down.

And that's no fault of theirs. I hate that guys like Ortiz and Westburg who are in their mid-20s and have done everything asked of them aren't getting everyday at bats. But the organization has to prioritize wins now. I don't want the front office to go all in now or ever, but they should be working with what they have to maximize their ability to stack wins this season.

They need another bat in the lineup for sure.  Urias has been traded off for Stowers who looks awful here for some reason as he did pretty good in AAA after slow start.  Henderson was walking early on and with Mateo hitting we could deal with one guy not hitting but now we have three guys not hitting at all in Stowers, Henderson and Mateo.  

1 hour ago, Os4days said:

Can someone explain why Stowers hasn’t been sent down? I mean I know he’s a left handed outfield bat but I haven’t seen him with a quality at bat maybe all year. 

If you don't tryout Stowers, Vavra, and McKenna now, then when? At bats are only going to get harder to come by.

Ortiz is on the 40 man, so it is more likely he will be back. Cowser and Westburg are not on the 40 man. Maybe you could move Seth Johnson to the 60 day IL, but so far Elias hasn't show that he is willing to remove someone from the 40 man to clear any spots. 

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Ortiz is on the 40 man, so it is more likely he will be back. Cowser and Westburg are not on the 40 man. Maybe you could move Seth Johnson to the 60 day IL, but so far Elias hasn't show that he is willing to remove someone from the 40 man to clear any spots. 

There is currently an opening, I think 

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

How do Urias and Mateo get lumped together with Frazier and Varva? Mateo and Urias are actually good.

I don’t understand rebuild threads when the team has one of the best records in the game? Are you that dogmatic on the going young at all cost approach that you don’t want the team to ever succeed their maximum capacity in the present?

Agreed Urias has been a very valuable player he is averaging 4.3 WAR per 162 games played during his career so far. And Mateo even if he doesn’t hit as some value due to his outstanding defense at SS.