Are the Orioles Good at Keeping Pitchers Healthy

baltfan

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We have a bunch of guys on the shelf right now, mostly in the minors.  Means, Baumler (done with TJ but now other issues), Peak, Brnovich, Young.   Probably some I’m not recalling.  

Like in geopolitics, you don’t end the season with the pitching you started with.

7 hours ago, yark14 said:

It's been 2 years since a player from my home state of Iowa has had TJ (our very own Baumler).

Eating corn makes UCL's much stronger.  Proven fact.

The food must be really unhealthy in California, Florida and Texas.  Look at all the UCL surgeries there!

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

What about Givens?

He’s also about ready.  Pitched in back to back games earlier this week, which Elias has said is something relievers need to do during their rehab before being activated.  Per Roch:

Reliever Mychal Givens said his left knee felt good after he pitched Wednesday and Thursday with Double-A Bowie on his rehab assignment. His activation from the injured list is approaching.

“I think he’s pretty close,” Hyde said. “We might try to give him another outing, and then we’re going to continue to monitor from there, go from there.”

Edited by Frobby

BP published results from its injury tracker a quarter of the way through the year, and it does give Shoulders up about 50% and Elbows up about 25% above 2021-2022 baseline in MLB pitch clock Year 1.      Also a WBC year as a complicator.

Pain Points shows the cumulative number of injuries afflicting each body part across MLB for every year since 2019, but it’s a comparison based on the number of days into the season. For example, we’re 44 days into the 2023 campaign, so it shows the number of injuries at the 44-day mark of each season since 2019. Here’s where things stand with elbow and shoulder ouchies:

Season Elbow Shoulder
2023 76 62
2022 59 40
2021 58 46
2020 6 1
2019 62 46

On 5/13/2023 at 7:44 AM, Frobby said:

The food must be really unhealthy in California, Florida and Texas.  Look at all the UCL surgeries there!

I know this is a joke, but that grouping might point to problem for kids who play 12 months a year.  From what I understand most players need at least 2 but preferably 3 months of rest & for youth players that number is 4.  Kids in Florida, Texas, and California are typically playing very close to year round.  Their skills are superior but their joints may not be.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Interesting.  He was throwing 97 when I saw him pitch against the Phillies in Clearwater.  
    • I'm not sure about that, the OPS split is like 26 points. I wouldn't call Suarez a hard thrower, either, his fastball averages 94 mph and it hasn't ticked up in the pen.
    • The Mariners face the Yankees next.  Rodriguez can heat up then.  
    • Yes, but he also said he hoped Hays would be ready after the off day.  So it’s unclear if Hays still isn’t ready, or if it’s just a matchup thing.  Last year Miller fared much better vs. RHB than LHB, this year, he actually has mild reverse splits so far.  
    • Yeah, but, they can't stay cold forever can they?
    • Seeing @SteveA's post about the Twins' ongoing ineptitude against the Yankees got me thinking about the other AL Central teams, who it seems come up small every time they play the MFYs (save for the Tigers in the playoffs). In short: this is the rare case where perception matches reality. Since 2001 (i.e., this century), AL Central teams are 272-492 (.356) against the Yankees in the regular season, "led" by the White Sox at 60-87 (.408)—the only team to crack .400. At the other end, the Twins are 46-106 (.303)—the worst winning percentage in MLB this century by one team against an opponent in its league—and the Royals aren't much better (46-105, .305—the second-worst winning percentage). Minnesota has won the season series against the Yankees only twice this century (2001 and 2023); the Royals are even worse, having won the season series in 2014 and lost 18 of the other 21 (the teams split in 2005, 2008, and 2011). In the playoffs, Tigers teams managed by Jim Leyland are a combined 10-3 against the Yankees and have won all three series they have played (2006 ALDS, 2011 ALDS, 2012 ALCS). All other Central teams are a combined 9-25 and have lost nine of 10 series, with the lone series win coming from Cleveland in the 2007 ALDS (home of the infamous Joba bug game). Minnesota accounts for six of those series losses, with a 2-16 record (the Twins won one game each in the 2003 and 2004 Division Series). With the Yankees hosting the White Sox this weekend, we'll get a near-immediate glimpse of whether current trends will continue...
  • Popular Contributors