Monday, May 15: Grayson Rodriguez vs Shohei Ohtani

SteveA

Just now, vab said:

Man, watching Rodriguez tonight makes you think it might not be a bad idea to just stop drafting pitching altogether. Load up on position players and trade them for established pitching. 

Problem is, Elias has not shown any ability to do that. He's traded for one starter and it was Cole Irvin. 

He has 4 drafts under his belt and had not drafted one single pitcher that looks like a major league starter right now and has not traded for any of them either. 

How many legitimate starters are available in the off season or trading deadline that are not rentals? 

The Braves drafted Strider and Elder in the same draft (2020). Maybe it's not that they shouldn't draft pitching, but maybe they are not great at developing pitching?

Now saying that, I do think they've developed Kremer and Bradish so I can't say they haven't developed anyone, but Rodriguez even in AAA this year never was dominating. 

• Upvote 1

I don't understan the relevance of the Orioles not having been able to develop pitchers ~20 years ago. This isn't like the Ravens who have had the same front office continuously.

Elias/Sig have a model that does a very good job at identifying bats. It's not clear if they can do the same with pitching because they don't really try.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Get out the string.

It worked for Britton.

When it comes to Elias I think of what Palmer said about Earl.

What that the only thing that Weaver knew about pitching is that "he" couldnt hit it?  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Problem is, Elias has not shown any ability to do that. He's traded for one starter and it was Cole Irvin. 

He has 4 drafts under his belt and had not drafted one single pitcher that looks like a major league starter right now and has not traded for any of them either. 

How many legitimate starters are available in the off season or trading deadline that are not rentals? 

The Braves drafted Strider and Elder in the same draft (2020). Maybe it's not that they shouldn't draft pitching, but maybe they are not great at developing pitching?

Now saying that, I do think they've developed Kremer and Bradish so I can't say they haven't developed anyone, but Rodriguez even in AAA this year never was dominating. 

Hall has not shown any progress as a pitcher.

If anything his raw stuff has regressed.

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

30.  Means has probably been the best along with Gausman?  Maybe I’m forgetting someone.  That’s pathetic SP development over 30 years.

Erik Bedard, Eduardo Rodriguez and Jake Arrieta -- Zach Britton before he was turned into a closer. 

I can't believe the crap I'm reading here.  Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson both struggled their first couple years in the league.