Santander Back to Back Starts at Firstbase

RVAOsFan

10 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Both O’hearn/Vavra aren’t playing much. How do you get Westburg/Cowser enough playing time with them gone? You still need to get rid of Frazier too or assume someone gets injured.

We just got rid of Stowers. Vavra can keep covering OF with Santander at 1B/DH until Cowser is called up. Once Cowser is called up, he may be a full time OF, at least against RHP's. Santander shifts to primary DH and 1B on days that Adley DH's. This does suggest Mountcastle could lose some AB's.

23 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Ideally I'd want him to DH 90% of the time, but I think he can do less damage at 1B than he can in RF. 

What bothers you the most about his defense in right field? Is it the 1 DRS, the 2 OAA, or the 2 RAA? What damage is shown by those metrics?

My concern is those one hoppers from Mateo and Gunnar. How did he look last night? I didn't get to watch. Right now, I would send O'hearn down and just give Cowser right field (or left field with Hays in right). Santander can DH, play 1B and occasionally start for Hays. Give Cowser 5-6 starts a week right now. Let's see what he can do. Vavra and Frazier can alternate at 2B.

34 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Ideally I'd want him to DH 90% of the time, but I think he can do less damage at 1B than he can in RF. 

1B's get way more chances though. Mountcastle had over 1,000 last year, while Santander has never had more than 230. You may be underestimating the potential impact of a bad 1B. 

My only concern about Cowser is, we've seen him go through those strikeout-prone stretches before figuring things out. You hope his outstanding OBP skills translate better to the MLs than Stowers. But I could also easily see him putting up a 30 AB stretch very similar to Stowers. But we have to find out before the trade season because if none of the outfield prospects are going to contribute, I think the team may trade for a proven COF who can handle Camden LF. 

Edited by interloper

29 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Any potential playing time Westburg would get only gets reduced when Urias comes back - unless Urias is dealt. 

Can Santander dig Gunner's throws out of the dirt?

Gunnar hasn’t made many bad throws lately.  And honestly, Mountcastle is very mediocre at handling bounced throws.  He kind of stabs at the ball; sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t.  For a guy who played SS and 3B for 3 years in the minors, he doesn’t have very soft hands.  With a little experience, I think Santander could be as good or better.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

My only concern about Cowser is, we've seen him go through those strikeout-prone stretches before figuring things out. You hope his outstanding OBP skills translate better to the MLs than Stowers. But I could also easily see him putting up a 30 AB stretch very similar to Stowers. But we have to find out before the trade season because if none of the outfield prospects are going to contribute, I think the team may trade for a proven COF who can handle Camden LF. 

More likely, he has a 30 PA stretch like Gunnar where he has a .300+ OBP without the benefit of hitting much.  

42 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Any potential playing time Westburg would get only gets reduced when Urias comes back - unless Urias is dealt. 

Can Santander dig Gunner's throws out of the dirt?

There are plenty of at bats there for everyone, especially if they feel like Westburg can handle the OF(not sure if they feel that way).

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

1B's get way more chances though. Mountcastle had over 1,000 last year, while Santander has never had more than 230. You may be underestimating the potential impact of a bad 1B. 

That's true, but 90+ percent of those opportunities are gimmies that any major leaguer should be able to handle.

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

How was Santander at 1b last night? I only got to watch the 1st inning. 

I was at the game so I may have missed some subtleties, but I don't think he had any challenging plays.

Edited by HandsomeQuack

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gunnar hasn’t made many bad throws lately.  And honestly, Mountcastle is very mediocre at handling bounced throws.  He kind of stabs at the ball; sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t.  For a guy who played SS and 3B for 3 years in the minors, he doesn’t have very soft hands.  With a little experience, I think Santander could be as good or better.  

I agree - Mountcastle does just kind of wave/swing his glove hand at the ball in the dirt.   Sometimes the ball sticks in the glove, sometimes it doesn't.   Santander can probably do the same thing with similar effectiveness.  One area I would bet Mounty is superior at is fielding those hard ground balls to either side.   Mounty does a good job at covering a lot of ground and has quick enough feet and reaction time to lay out and cover more ground than Anthony will be able to. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, Mounty has had a lot of bad luck the last season+. I think there is more there.

But even before that, he wasn’t a guy who you really felt was someone who should get 600 at bats.

My opinion of RMC hasn’t really changed much the last three years.  He’s fun to watch when he’s hot, very frustrating when he’s not, and his lack of plate discipline is maddening most of the time.  Defensively he’s average at best, maybe slightly below IMO.   For me he’s a slightly below average starting 1B.  I had hopes he would grow into something more than that as he gained experience, but so far, he’s pretty much the same guy.  I do agree that there’s been some bad luck involved at times, but it may just be that he happens to hit the ball to certain spots a lot and the fielders know it.