Thursday, May 18 (early afternoon): Orioles end 10 game homestand

SteveA

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I might've gone to Gillaspie here down by one and hope he can get through the inning. Coulombe for another inning pretty much makes him a no go for tomorrow.

Gillaspie is in Norfolk.   (Or if they are on the road, he is in some other non-Baltimore location).

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I might've gone to Gillaspie here down by one and hope he can get through the inning. Coulombe for another inning pretty much makes him a no go for tomorrow.

Gillaspie went down for Irvin

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Is he back up? He was sent down for Irvin on Tuesday. 

6 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Jim Palmer mention that pitchers of today are babied.  I don't understand why Cano and Bautista are not available today, unless their both injured. 

We cannot afford to lose either of them.  Keep them healthy and let others step in to get it done.  If they can’t find guys to get it done, bring others up 

Lame to split with these pretender Angels before a big AL East roadtrip.  Tough game.  Hope they can make another comeback attempt in the 9th.  The Mets had to do do three of'em last night against the Rays.  

In any case, I just hope we aren't pretenders also.  

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Monday night:   Voth comes in when we are down 8-5 and has a perfect inning, 16 pitches.   Instead of letting him go a 2nd inning, we bring in someone else.   We also use Bauman for the 9th.   We use 5 relievers in the game.   We could have used Voth for an extra inning and kept Baumann available for the next day .

Tuesday:  we don't have many guys available because of all the guys we used Monday.   So even though we have a 4 run lead, we are boxed into using Cano in the 9th.   You could argue that he "needed to pitch" because he hasn't gone since Saturday

Wednesday:  We need Cano for the 8th and he comes through.

Today:  Because Cano has pitched 2 straight games, he isn't available, and it wound up costing us two runs in the 9th.

All goes back to the decision to only go one inning with an effective Voth on Monday and burn extra relievers that night.

In hindsight, maybe, but Baker needs to be able to navigate the 7-9 hitters of the Angels lineup. Period.