You can't clip these wings - City Connect jerseys

Snutchy

29 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Hates a strong word.  What about them do you dislike so much? Not poking fun or anything - generally curious. 

I think it's a mediocre attempt at "relating" to the people. Most of the ones I've seen looks terrible.

I love throw backs and such, so I'm not against switching up. I just find it to be a lame way to sell more merchandise while acting like you're doing something to connect.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think it's a mediocre attempt at "relating" to the people. Most of the ones I've seen looks terrible.

I love throw backs and such, so I'm not against switching up. I just find it to be a lame way to sell more merchandise while acting like you're doing something to connect.

That’s fair.  I’ll agree that the vast majority of them don’t look very good.  I liked the Nats & Sox.  The Padres city jersey is a work of art.  Best uni in sports right now in my humble opinion.  Really like the Marlins city hat.  Some of them are complete garbage.  

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I just want to go on the record as an old guy that hates the City Connect jerseys. That's all.

Thirded

35 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

This 100%. The whole thing is a gimmick to move merch. If a team wants to be progressive and introduce a wacky alternate, that's fine, but I hate that Nike and the league have forced every team to do this from the top down.

As an aside, embracing your City Connect look reeks of low self-esteem. If your fans prefer the Nike merch-dump alternate composed of non-team colors to your normal look (looking at you, Washington and Miami), you are doing something seriously wrong.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Thirded

This 100%. The whole thing is a gimmick to move merch. If a team wants to be progressive and introduce a wacky alternate, that's fine, but I hate that Nike and the league have forced every team to do this from the top down.

As an aside, embracing your City Connect look reeks of low self-esteem. If your fans prefer the Nike merch-dump alternate composed of non-team colors to your normal look (looking at you, Washington and Miami), you are doing something seriously wrong.

The fact that they're partners with Nike also doesn't help.

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I just want to go on the record as an old guy that hates the City Connect jerseys. That's all.

I want to go on the record as an old guy who couldn’t care less what jerseys the Orioles wear, so long as they win.  

I wonder if the McKinsey recommended endgame is 162 uniforms for 162 games.

I'm intentionally tuning it out as best I can, but I gather this is the uniform equivalent of the Nats having American University night, then JMU night, then Bark in the Park night, then Georgetown kitty cats night, then TJ Tech goldfish night.

So much product for the marketing consultants to customize to create experiences.     Invention of these profit centers is definitely why John Angelos merits a lion's share of the game's revenues!

3 hours ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Seems to me you've got a problem with people spending their money (not yours) on things they like.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seems to me you've got a problem with people spending their money (not yours) on things they like.

People can buy what they want. What I don't like is when the merch tail wags the on-field dog, since that (strictly in my opinion) has had negative aesthetic consequences.

The "you" in the second part of what I said is the teams, not the consumer (apologies if that was unclear). If a team's fans prefer the jersey that has nothing to do with the rest of the team's visual program, then that is an indictment on the team's primary logos, uniforms, etc.

1 hour ago, HandsomeQuack said:

People can buy what they want. What I don't like is when the merch tail wags the on-field dog, since that (strictly in my opinion) has had negative aesthetic consequences.

The "you" in the second part of what I said is the teams, not the consumer (apologies if that was unclear). If a team's fans prefer the jersey that has nothing to do with the rest of the team's visual program, then that is an indictment on the team's primary logos, uniforms, etc.

What negative aesthetic consequences could there be?