Pick one former Oriole at any stage of their career to add to the current team to make us serious WS contenders

GuidoSarducci

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Did he pitch every other day?  The game has really changed over the last 100 years.  Especially pitching.

And the game hasn't really changed over the last 50 years?

That was my point.

You almost always go with the great player that played most recently.

It makes as much sense to plus Palmer's numbers into the current game as it does McGinnity.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And the game hasn't really changed over the last 50 years?

That was my point.

You almost always go with the great player that played most recently.

It makes as much sense to plus Palmer's numbers into the current game as it does McGinnity.

Well, I think Palmer was a four pitch pitcher that could throw mid-90's.  I think prime Palmer could start today.  The biggest change for me is bullpen usage and the number of relievers throwing at or near 100.  We've got Bautista, Cano and Perez all throwing 97+ routinely.

Just now, Orange said:

Cuellar. Give me the southpaw with OPACY's current dimensions. 1969-1971 he averaged 22 wins, 20 CG's, and 293 IP... That'll help the bullpen, too.

I appreciate you stepping out on the ledge like that with some pretty good reasoning. I’m with the peak Mussina crowd because he was just that good. But with current Camden Yards dimensions, an outlier argument could be made that peak Bedard would have been pretty amazing. 

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Well, I think Palmer was a four pitch pitcher that could throw mid-90's.  I think prime Palmer could start today.  The biggest change for me is bullpen usage and the number of relievers throwing at or near 100.  We've got Bautista, Cano and Perez all throwing 97+ routinely.

I'd say K and BB rates.

Palmer averaged 3.0 BB/9.  That puts him in a tie for 44th in today's game.  His K/9 was 5.0, which is off the leaderboard all together so let's give him 71st.

I know guys are other guys heroes but you aren't taking a guy from 50 years ago and dropping him into this league.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mussina (oh man, wait until @Tony-OHsees THIS) or Palmer were the easy choices.  I'm a little late to the game here but I was going to say Cuellar instead to be different but @Orangebeat me to it.  

We could use an excellent lefty starter. Adding a 1969 version of Cuellar would be pretty darn good for this team. But I'd go 1968 McNally with his 1.95 ERA and 0.84 WHIP, 28 CG and 5 SHO if we wanted to add a lefty. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

How about 250 innings of 1980 Steve Stone??

You mean Steve Stone, the guy who won the Cy Young because of the amount of wins he had? He had a 3.98 FIP that year. Poor Mike Norris got ripped off. i mean, 10 year old me loved Stone and thought he definitely deserved it. 53 year me feels like sending mike Norris a "Sorry for your loss" card.

1 hour ago, MikeAD said:

Give me 1968 McNally.  Or another more modern style lefty like Erik Bedard from 2007. 

For giggles peak Chris Davis would be fun.  

Chris Davis RP 2012 could give Yennier Cano a run for his money. 

• Upvote 1