Mullins Injured; Cowser on the IL, Watch Daz Cameron

wildcard

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Can't see that happening the way Elias protects his prospects.

Does seem unlikely. But Kjerstad is going to AAA any day, and is the kind of hitter who might be able to skip a level. Him coming up would mean O’Hearn down and possibly Ortiz up. It could allow us to get a look at Kjerstad to see if he could help us in the fall when Mullins returns. If he struggles you send to AAA where he was going anyhow. And I’d rather replace Mullins in the lineup with someone like Kjerstad than Cameron or McKenna. On the downside he hasn’t played LF hardly at all, and moving Hays to CF isn’t ideal. Just not sure what other solution I’d prefer. 

I doubt they go this route but here is an idea out of the box. The main issue would be who plays LF at Camden Yards but you could also bring Westburg up. 

Play Vavra and Frazier occasionally in RF. Westburg could DH a bunch and get an occasional start in the infield. Hays and McKenna play CF. Once again the issue is playing LF at Camden. Don’t really have a good fit there. Vs LHP Hays  stays in LF and McKenna in CF. The question would be vs RHP.  Road games would not be as big of a deal. Could also send down O’Hearn and still call up Cameron. This would require a 40 man move. That would not be hard. 

Either way if Mullins is going to be out awhile I would seriously consider playing Westburg a ton in the OF at AAA. Our offense is going to be hurt without Cedric. I think we are looking at a big spot in the season right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Does seem unlikely. But Kjerstad is going to AAA any day, and is the kind of hitter who might be able to skip a level. Him coming up would mean O’Hearn down and possibly Ortiz up. It could allow us to get a look at Kjerstad to see if he could help us in the fall when Mullins returns. If he struggles you send to AAA where he was going anyhow. And I’d rather replace Mullins in the lineup with someone like Kjerstad than Cameron or McKenna. On the downside he hasn’t played LF hardly at all, and moving Hays to CF isn’t ideal. Just not sure what other solution I’d prefer. 

Kjerstad in LF and Hays in CF would significantly weaken the outfield defense. In the scenario you present why would the bypass Westburg and Cowser in order to promote Kjerstad?

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Kjerstad in LF and Hays in CF would significantly weaken the outfield defense. In the scenario you present why would the bypass Westburg and Cowser in order to promote Kjerstad?

Because Cowser is on the IL and Westburg isn’t an OFer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because Cowser is on the IL and Westburg isn’t an OFer.

Yeah I know both. But isn’t Cowser supposed to be coming off the IL any day now? If that’s the case, wouldn’t they just play McKenna in CF for a day or 2 and then just bring Cowser up?

Cameron very well may get the call to be the 4th outfielder, but I expect to see Mckenna pick up more playing time than normal. Vavra has a little CF experience as does Mateo though I don't expect Mateo to see much time out there.

Cowser has unfortunate timing on his quad injury. 

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Yeah I know both. But isn’t Cowser supposed to be coming off the IL any day now? If that’s the case, wouldn’t they just play McKenna in CF for a day or 2 and then just bring Cowser up?

I don't think you want to bring a kid up for his major league debut coming off an IL stint. 

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Cowser should be off the IL soon but then you figure he gets 3-5 games warm up if they want to bring him up.

Just depends on how bad the injury is for Mullins.

41 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I doubt they go this route but here is an idea out of the box. The main issue would be who plays LF at Camden Yards but you could also bring Westburg up. 

Play Vavra and Frazier occasionally in RF. Westburg could DH a bunch and get an occasional start in the infield. Hays and McKenna play CF.

Any move that keeps McCann out of the DH spot is worth making. McCann should strictly be the backup catcher with his bat even with Mullins out. There's too much talent in the organization let Westburg play to help fill the void created by Mullins' injury.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1