Mullins Injured; Cowser on the IL, Watch Daz Cameron

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

It looks like we are going to play Frazier no matter what, so maybe stick him in LF, Hays in CF and bring up Ortiz or Westburg to play 2B

That’s some really bad OF defense. Remember we have one of the most cavernous outfields to cover now. You can’t have subpar defense at 2 positions (and arguably 3 w Santander sometimes) and not think that’s going to have a serious impact. 

Ortiz/Westburg would have to come up and really provide instant impact/offensive value for that to even cancel out the negative value that we would get from having Frazier in LF and Hays in center.

Our stadium is not really setup for us to have that kind of negative defensive alignment in LF and CF. IMO it’s too much ground to cover for median/average speed at both positions.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Cameron might be the move.  Though Mateo to CF with a few weeks for Ortiz at SS isn’t the worst idea.

Is there any evidence that Mateo can man CF? Or is it just assumed because of his incredible athleticism that he can “figure it out”?

39 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

It looks like we are going to play Frazier no matter what, so maybe stick him in LF, Hays in CF and bring up Ortiz or Westburg to play 2B

I think I like this idea best, especially if it's a long term thing. Feels like we are going to need some offense and Westburg could help.

59 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Is there any evidence that Mateo can man CF? Or is it just assumed because of his incredible athleticism that he can “figure it out”?

Yep, he's got 74 major league innings in CF and 176 OF innings total in the Majors (as well as another 247 innings in the minors, mostly in CF). He's not completely new to it. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mateo-000jor

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I don't  see Elias moving around 4-5 people or rushing Cowser. It would be simpler to let McKenna and Cameron alternate there and keep everyone else where they are.

This seems like the most practical short term “solution”. Though I’m skeptical any real solution involves McKenna getting regular playing time/consistent ABs. I guess we will see what happens come tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I like the way you think. Before I read your post, I was thinking of how I'd like to see what Mateo can do if he went back to play Centerfield. The reason being is that this creates a more creative opportunity so that Mateo, Urias, and Henderson can all be in the game at the exact same time with Frasier or Vavra.

To sum up: I'd rather see Hays or Mateo playing Center-field more than I would McKenna. (McKenna is only OK in small doses.) I like your idea better. Vavra and Frasier can split time in the outfield.

Hopefully Cedric isn't out for long. Maybe it's just a tight cramp that happened.

I think the move will be Ortiz getting the bulk of the time at 2nd with Frazier and McKenna picking up the slack in the outfield. If Mullins is out for an extended period we could see Cowser finally get a shot,